Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition
The transition to market-based economic systems in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union involve fundamental shifts in the allocation of resources, and deep changes in the structure of production and employment. This Paper uses a simple model of economic development and structural change with technology spillovers to benchmark structural change in the transition economies and simulate the path of adjustment from central planning. We then analyse data from 10 accession candidates and 12 CIS countries to measure the progress in structural change that has taken place thus far and to assess the further structural changes that should be expected, with particular attention to the implications for accession.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150-150, March.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 68(4), pages 869-882.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Spilimbergo, Antonio, 1998. "Deindustrialization and Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 450-460, August.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 1995. "De-Industrialization and Trade," Research Department Publications 4014, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 1995. "De-industrialization and Trade," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 5820, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Roland Dohrn & Ullrich Heilemann, 1996. "The Chenery hypothesis and structural change in Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 411-425, October.
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley & DEC, 1994. "The Soviet economic decline : historical and republican data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1284, The World Bank.
- William Easterly & Stanley Fischer, 1994. "The Soviet Economic Decline: Historical and Republican Data," NBER Working Papers 4735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Jackman & C Pauna, 1997. "Labour market policy and the reallocation of labour across sectors," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2047, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "The Great Contractions in Russia, the Baltics and the Other Countries of the Former Soviet Union; A View From the Supply Side," IMF Working Papers 00/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Gomulka, Stanislaw, 1986. "Soviet Growth Slowdown: Duality, Maturity, and Innovation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 170-174, May.
- Bryan W. Roberts, 1997. "Welfare change and the elimination of the shortage economy in Russia: some representative-household results," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(2), pages 427-451, November.
- Helene Poirson Ward, 2000. "Factor Reallocation and Growth in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/94, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Jackman & C Pauna, 1997. "Labour Market Policy and the Reallocation of Labour Across Sectors," CEP Discussion Papers dp0338, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.