European integration, labour market dynamics and migration flows
This paper has a double goal. On one side we want to evaluate the effect of economic integration on migration flows moving from the enlargement countries towards the EU-15; on the other, we want to analyse whether the migration flows had any impact over employment, real wages and labour force in the receiving countries of the European labour market. Due to the fact that economic integration can be observed in different real, monetary and financial phenomena, we refer to three of these to measure integration: trade openness, trade integration and financial market integration. These indicators have been inserted in a theoretical model that tries to explain labour market dynamics. The theoretical context that seemed the most suitable one to summarise European labour market characteristics is a modified version of the insider/outsider model proposed by Layard, Nickell and Jackman (LNJ, 1991). Another innovative contribution is the introduction of an equation modelling migration flows, whose creation is inspired to the neo-classic approach to the migration theory (Harris-Todaro, 1970). The model based on rational expectations is solved to find the equilibrium solution and the impact multipliers. Subsequently we estimated a structural VAR with the aim of both evaluating the impact that different shocks on integration measures have on migration flows, and measuring the type of effects that an increase in migration flows causes on the labour market. The estimates show that economic integration generate relevant effects on migration flows from the enlargement countries towards the EU-15 countries. Moreover, from the results emerge that migration flows generate an effect on the labour market.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harald Badinger, 2005. "Growth Effects of Economic Integration: Evidence from the EU Member States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(1), pages 50-78, April.
- Michael Fertig, 2001. "The economic impact of EU-enlargement: assessing the migration potential," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 707-720.
- Manacorda, Marco & Manning, Alan & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2006.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2352, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Manacorda & Alan Manning & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2006. "The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0754, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Marco Manacorda & Alan Manning & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2006. "The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0608, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Marco Manacorda & Alan Manning & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2006. "The impact of immigration on the structure of male wages: theory and evidence from Britain," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19797, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1999. "Labour Mobility - An Adjustment Mechanism in Euroland?," IZA Discussion Papers 34, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995.
"The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
5037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995. "The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- Stephen Drinkwater & John Eade & Michal Garapich, 2006.
"Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of immigrants in the UK,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
1706, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Drinkwater, Stephen & Eade, John & Garapich, Michal, 2006. "Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrants in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 2410, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2004.
"Factor Mobility and Regional Disparities: East, West, Home's Best?,"
Economics Working Papers
026, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Richard Nahuis & A. Parikh, 2002. "Factor mobility and regional disparities; east, west, home's best?," CPB Discussion Paper 4, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995.
"Growth Effects of European Integration,"
Working Paper Series
439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, . "Growth Effects of European Integration," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2007. "Phillips Curve or wage curve? : evidence from West Germany: 1980-2004," IAB Discussion Paper 200714, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lemos, Sara & Portes, Jonathan, 2008.
"New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara Lemos & Jonathan Portes, 2008. "New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/29, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- S. Ederveen & R. Nahuis & A. Parikh, 2005.
"Labour Mobility and Regional Disparities: The Role of Female Labour Participation,"
05-31, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sjef Ederveen & Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2007. "Labour mobility and regional disparities: the role of female labour participation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 895-913, October.
- Black,Stanley W., 2008.
"Europe's Economy Looks East,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521088237, June.
- Yanikkaya, Halit, 2003. "Trade openness and economic growth: a cross-country empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 57-89, October.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- Walz, Uwe, 1998. "Does an enlargement of a common market stimulate growth and convergence?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 297-321, August.
- Fertig, Michael, 2003. "The Impact of Economic Integration on Employment – An Assessment in the Context of EU Enlargement," IZA Discussion Papers 919, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gruner, Hans Peter & Hefeker, Carsten, 1999. " How Will EMU Affect Inflation and Unemployment in Europe?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(1), pages 33-47, March.
- Christian Dustmann & Francesca Fabbri & Ian Preston, 2005. "The Impact of Immigration on the British Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(507), pages F324-F341, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uca:ucapdv:136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucia Padovani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.