Factor mobility and regional disparities; east, west, home's best?
Unemployment rates as well as incomes per capita differ vastly across the regions of Europe. Labour mobility can play a role in resolving regional disparities. This paper focuses on the questions why labour mobility is low in the EU and how it is possible that it remains low. We explore whether changes in labour participation act as an important alternative adjustment mechanism. We answer this question in the affirmative. Furthermore, we argue that labour participation of young females is very important in adjusting to regional disparities. Finally, we examine whether part time work is an adjustment mechanism that is comparable to labour force participation. It turns out not to be.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1997. "Is EMU more justifiable ex post than ex ante?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 753-760, April.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Ortega, Javier, 2000. "Pareto-Improving Immigration in an Economy with Equilibrium Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 92-112, January.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1999. "Labour Mobility - An Adjustment Mechanism in Euroland?," IZA Discussion Papers 34, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1995.
"Integrating the East: The Labour Market Effects of Immigration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, T. & Zimmermann, K., 1995. "Integrating the East: The Labor Market Effects of Immigration," Papers 5, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Paolo Mauro & Antonio Spilimbergo, 1999.
"How Do the Skilled and the Unskilled Respond to Regional Shocks?: The Case of Spain,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 1.
- Paolo Mauro & Antonio Spilimbergo, 1998. "How Do the Skilled and the Unskilled Respond to Regional Shocks? the Case of Spain," IMF Working Papers 98/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 142, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Michiel Van Leuvensteijn & Ashok Parikh, 2002. "How different are the determinants of population versus labour migration in Germany?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(11), pages 699-703.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:discus:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.