Regional Economic Repercussions of an Economic Crisis: A Sectoral Analysis
This paper investigates the evolution of regional disparities in Finland between 1988 and 1997. The analysis focuses on per capita GDP and its subcomponents, particularly labour productivity, jobs and population. The results show, first, that the evolution of labour productivity and the number of jobs account for the emerged regional divergence of per capita GDP during 1990-1995. Second, even though inter-regional migration tends to have convergent effects on regional per capita GDP, its effect was not strong enough during 1990-1995: the divergence of productivity and jobs dominated. Third, among divergent factors (productivity and jobs), manufacturing contributes the most to the divergence of per capita GDP, whereas private services is the main convergent sector. One conclusion of the paper is that the divergent forces are gaining strength at the expense of convergent ones, as migration directs population into largest regional centres. A decline in convergent factors may occur as migration decreases the need for private sector jobs outside the centres.
|Date of creation:||12 Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
NBER Working Papers
3922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-863.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Evans, Philip & McCormick, Barry, 1994. "The New Pattern of Regional Unemployment: Causes and Policy Significance," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 633-47, May.
- Philippe Aghion & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1993.
"Uncovering Some Causal Relationships between Productivity Growth and the Structure of Economic Fluctuations: A Tentative Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
4603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1998. "Uncovering Some Causal Relationships Between Productivity Growth and the Structure of Economic Fluctuations: A Tentative Survey," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 12(2), pages 279-303, 07.
- Sari Pekkala, 2000. "Aggregate economic fluctuations and regional convergence: the Finnish case 1988-95," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 211-219.
- Maria Demertzis & Andrew Hughes Hallett, 1996. "Regional Inequalities and the Business Cycle: An Explanation of the Rise in European Unemployment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 15-29.
- Aki Kangasharju & Peter Nijkamp, 1997.
"Innovation Dynamics in Space: Local Actors and Local Factors,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
97-062/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kangasharju, Aki & Nijkamp, Peter, 2001. "Innovation dynamics in space: local actors and local factors," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 31-56, March.
- Hess, Gregory D & Shin, Kwanho, 1997. "International and Intranational Business Cycles," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 93-109, Autumn.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jörg Decressin, 1994. "Internal migration in West Germany and implications for East-West salary convergence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Aki Kangasharju, 1999. "Relative Economic Performance in Finland: Regional Convergence, 1934-1993," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 207-217.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1997.
"Business Cycles and Long-Run Growth,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 145-53, Autumn.
- Sari Pekkala, 1999. "Regional convergence across the Finnish provinces and subregions, 1960-94," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 28-40, Spring.
- Kollmann, Robert, 1995. "The correlation of productivity growth across regions and industries in the United States," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 437-443, March.
- J. H. L. Dewhurst, 1998. "Convergence and divergence in regional household incomes per head in the United Kingdom, 1984-93," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 31-35.
- Kangasharju, Aki & Pekkala, Sari, 2000. "The Effect Of Aggregate Fluctuations On Regional Economic Disparities In Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa00p26, European Regional Science Association.
- Aki Kangasharju, 1998. "beta convergence in Finland: regional differences in speed of convergence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 679-687.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.