Unemployment and Migration: Does Moving Help?
This paper studies the migration behaviour of the unemployed in Finland, and analyses the causal effect of moving on individual employment status. In 1994 17 per cent of the labour force was unemployed and the unemployment rate exhibited a very slow decline in 1994-96. Over half of those who were unemployed at the end of 1994 were still unemployed two years later. The propensity to find a job is somewhat greater among migrants. However, the positive effect of moving diminishes once other personal characteristics are accounted for. Moreover, when endogenous migrant selectivity is controlled for, an insignificant or even a negative effect on employment status emerges. This indicates that the better "quality" of the migrants (e.g. age, education, human capital and unobserved ability), rather than the act of moving itself, causes an improvement in re-employability. Hence, migration alone may not be a very effective mechanism for alleviating individual unemployment.
|Date of creation:||04 Jul 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio, 1997. "An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 571-579, April.
- Molho, Ian, 1986. "Theories of Migration: A Review," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 396-419, November.
- Greenwood, Michael J, 1975. "Research on Internal Migration in the United States: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 397-433, June.
- Hannu Tervo, 2000.
"Post-Migratory Employment Prospects: Evidence from Finland,"
CEIS, vol. 14(2), pages 331-350, 06.
- Hannu Tervo, 1998. "Post-migratory employment prospect: Evidence from Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa98p41, European Regional Science Association.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sari Pekkala, 2001.
"Regional Labour Market Adjustment: Are Positive and Negative Shocks Different?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa01p196, European Regional Science Association.
- Sari Pekkala & Aki Kangasharju, 2002. "Regional Labour Market Adjustment: Are Positive and Negative Shocks Different?," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 16(2), pages 267-286, 06.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Graves, Philip E. & Linneman, Peter D., 1979. "Household migration: Theoretical and empirical results," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 383-404, July.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Kauhanen, Merja & Tervo, Hannu, 1999. "Who Move to Depressed Regions? An Analysis of Migration Streams in Finland in the 1990s," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa270, European Regional Science Association.
- Joshua Angrist, 1999.
"Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice,"
99-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Angrist, Joshua D, 2001. "Estimations of Limited Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 2-16, January.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 2000. "Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vijverberg, W.P.M., 1991.
"Dual selection criteria with multiple alternatives: migration, work status, and wages,"
78, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Vijverberg, Wim P M, 1995. "Dual Selection Criteria with Multiple Alternatives: Migration, Work Status, and Wages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 159-85, February.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Mika Haapanen, 1998. "Internal Migration and Labour Market Transitions of Unemployment Workers," Discussion Papers 179, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- McCormick, Barry, 1997. "Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 581-589, April.
- Schlottmann, Alan M & Herzog, Henry W, Jr, 1981. "Employment Status and the Decision to Migrate," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 590-98, November.
- Ahn, Namkee & de la Rica, Sara & Ugidos, Arantza, 1999.
"Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(263), pages 335-57, August.
- Ahn, N. & de la Rica, S. & Ugidos, A., 1998. "Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain," Papers 9801, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1978. "Family Migration Decisions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 749-73, October.
- Boehm, Thomas P. & Herzog, Jr., Henry W. & Schlottmann, Alan M., 1998. "Does Migration Matter? Job Search Outcomes for the Unemployed," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 28(1), pages 3-12, Summer.
- Sandell, Steven H, 1977. "Women and the Economics of Family Migration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(4), pages 406-14, November.
- Hannu Tervo, 2000. "Migration and Labour Market Adjustment: Empirical evidence from Finland 1985-90," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 343-360.
- Ernest Preston Goss & Chris Paul & Al Wilhite, 1994. "Duration Of Unemployment: Geographic Mobility And Selectivity Bias," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 24(2), pages 127-142, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.