Innovation dynamics in space: local actors and local factors
This paper addresses the issue of technogenesis and its geographical pattern. It aims to offer both a general analysis framework and a test on innovation data from several European cities. This framework is mainly built on the product life-cycle and the incubation approach. On the basis of this framework, it is argued that the phases of an industrial life-cycle have several firm-specific effects. First, these phases influence innovativeness and thus profit levels, output and employment of firms in a spatially distinct way. Second, the phases of the life-cycle mirror the importance of local factors for innovations, and third, they affect strategic decisions of firms, inter alia by influencing the source of the competitive edge. Furthermore, this paper also aims to model effects of relevant local factors on innovativeness bymeans of logit analysis, subsequent to a qualitative impact approach based on the recently developed rough set analysis. Our empirical results from various European cities show that the successive phases of the industrial life-cycle tend to create spatially recognizable impacts on innovativeness of firms.Accordingly, the evolution of the importance of local factors for innovations is also found to reflect a distinct time path. Among more than 20 local factors, the interviewed firms appear to consider support measures for skills training particularly important for innovations. Accordingly, the results of our logit models reveal that in particular skills training links with a local university contribute significantly to the propensity to innovate.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"Transfers, social safety nets and economic growth,"
Economics Working Papers
139, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997. "Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- דבי עובדיה, 1991. "קו חירום לנשים מוכות," Working Papers 203, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Sef Baaijens & Peter Nijkamp & Kees Van Montfort, 1998. "Explanatory Meta-analysis for the Comparison and Transfer of Regional Tourist Income Multipliers," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 839-849.
- אסתר טולידנו, 1994. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 1993," Working Papers 439, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- אסתר טולידנו, 1995. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 1994," Working Papers 444, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- אסתר טולדנו, 1997. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 1996," Working Papers 521, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Giovanni Dosi & Christopher Freeman & Richard Nelson & Gerarld Silverberg & Luc Soete (ed.), 1988. "Technical Change and Economic Theory," LEM Book Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy, number dosietal-1988, August.
- דבי עובדיה, 1989. "חונכות ילדי אסירים," Working Papers 144, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- חנה וייל, 1995. "סיעוד במגזר הערבי," Working Papers 397, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- אסתר טולידנו, 1991. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 1990," Working Papers 514, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Aki Kangasharju, 1998. "beta convergence in Finland: regional differences in speed of convergence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 679-687.
- יעקב צדקה, 1991. "משפחתונים לקשישים בטבריה," Working Papers 80, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Geenhuizen, M. van & Nijkamp, P., 1995. "Technology transfer: how to remove obstacles in advancing employment growth," Serie Research Memoranda 0028, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- אסתר טולידנו, 1989. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 1988," Working Papers 538, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- רבקה פריאור, 1991. "גמלאות נפגעי עבודה, 1989," Working Papers 496, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:35:y:2001:i:1:p:31-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.