The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages
This paper summarizes and assesses recent studies on the impact of current trends in trade and direct investment on employment and wages in OECD countries. The general conclusion is that such factors as changes in labour supplies, technology and demand are more important than changes in trading patterns in accounting for changes in employment and shifts in relative wages. However, further studies are needed to understand better the employment and wage impact of foreign direct investment.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as OECD Economic Studies, Vol. 23 (Winter 1994): 7-54.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trefler, Daniel, 1993. "International Factor Price Differences: Leontief Was Right!," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 961-87, December.
- Martin, John P & Evans, John M, 1981. "Notes on Measuring the Employment Displacement Effects of Trade by the Accounting Procedure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 154-64, March.
- Gene M. Grossman, 1984.
"Imports as a Cause of Injury: The Case of the U.S. Steel Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M., 1986. "Imports as a cause of injury: The case of the U.S. steel industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1981. "Foreign Production and Exports in Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 488-94, November.
- J. B. Donovan, 1978. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(60), pages 69-71, December.
- George J. Borjas & Valerie A. Ramey, 1993. "Foreign Competition, Market Power and Wage Inequality: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wood, Adrian, 1995. "North-South Trade, Employment and Inequality: Changing Fortunes in a Skill-Driven World," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290155, March.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1983. "Trade and Employment in Developing Countries, Volume 3: Synthesis and Conclusions," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krue83-1, August.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Griliches, Zvi, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-97, May.
- Gene M. Grossman, 1982. "The Employment and Wage Effects of Import Competition in the United States," NBER Working Papers 1041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1984. "Higher dimensional issues in trade theory," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 131-184 Elsevier.
- Louis T. Wells Jr., 1992. "Conflict or Indifference: US Multinationals in a World of Regional Trading Blocs," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 57, OECD Publishing.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wood, Adrian, 1991. "How Much Does Trade with the South Affect Workers in the North?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 19-36, January.
- Driver, Ciaran & Kilpatrick, Andrew & Naisbitt, Barry, 1988. "The sensitivity of estimated employment effects in input-output studies : An example of the use of marginal versus average coefficients," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 145-150, April.
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman & Robert Lawrence, 1993. "Trade, Jobs, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 4478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. G. Fry, 1978. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(60), pages 14-15, December.
- J. R. McClelland, 1978. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(57), pages 75-77, 01.
- R. A. Jolly, 1978. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(60), pages 38-42, December.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Gary W. Loveman & David G. Blanchflower, 1993. "A Comparison of Changes in the Structure of Wages," NBER Working Papers 4297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1994. "Trade, Wages and Revolving Door Ideas," NBER Working Papers 4716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Revenga, Ana L, 1992. "Exporting Jobs? The Impact of Import Competition on Employment and Wages in U.S. Manufacturing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 255-84, February.
- Steven J. Davis, 1992.
"Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 239-300
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis, 1992. "Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 4085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hakura, D. & Deardorff, A.V., 1993. "Trade and Wages: What Are the Questions?," Working Papers 341, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- André Sapir & Dieter Schumacher, 1985. "The employment impact of shifts in the composition of commodity and services trade," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8260, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.