State-Aid, Stability and Competition in European Banking
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013.
"Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011. "Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Pennathur, Anita & Smith, Deborah & Subrahmanyam, Vijaya, 2014. "The stock market impact of government interventions on financial services industry groups: Evidence from the 2007–2009 crisis," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 22-44.
- Diallo, Boubacar, 2015. "Bank competition and crises revisited: New results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 81-86.
- Baba, Naohiko & Packer, Frank, 2009.
"From turmoil to crisis: Dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1350-1374, December.
- Naohiko Baba & Frank Packer, 2009. "From turmoil to crisis: dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers," BIS Working Papers 285, Bank for International Settlements.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1977.
"The Gains and Losses from Industrial Concentration,"
Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 229-263, October.
- Sam Peltzman, 1977. "The Gains and Losses From Industrial Concentration," NBER Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Forssbæck & Choudhry Tanveer Shehzad, 2015. "The Conditional Effects of Market Power on Bank Risk—Cross-Country Evidence," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 19(5), pages 1997-2038.
- John Goddard & Phil Molyneux & John O.S. Wilson, 2009. "The financial crisis in Europe: evolution, policy responses and lessons for the future," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 362-380, November.
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Micco, Alejandro, 2007.
"Concentration and foreign penetration in Latin American banking sectors: Impact on competition and risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1633-1647, June.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Business School Working Papers cinco, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Micco, Alejandro, 2011. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1482, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Research Department Publications 4353, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Claudia M. Buch & Cathérine T. Koch & Michael Koetter, 2013.
"Do Banks Benefit from Internationalization? Revisiting the Market Power--Risk Nexus,"
Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 1401-1435.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine Tahmee & Koetter, Michael, 2010. "Do banks benefit from internationalization? Revisiting the market power-risk nexus," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Reint Gropp & Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2011.
"Competition, Risk-shifting, and Public Bail-out Policies,"
Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2084-2120.
- Reint Gropp & Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2010. "Competition, Risk-Shifting, and Public Bail-out Policies," Working Papers 1003, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 14 Jan 2010.
- Reint Gropp & Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2010. "Competition, Risk-Shifting,and Public Bail-out Policies," Discussion Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2010_05, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- David Martinez-Miera & Rafael Repullo, 2010. "Does Competition Reduce the Risk of Bank Failure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3638-3664, October.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004. "Competition and Financial Stability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-480, June.
- Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & Simon Wolfe, 2009. "Are Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 711-734, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2017.
"Bank competition and financial stability,"
Chapters, in: Jacob A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk (ed.),Handbook of Competition in Banking and Finance, chapter 10, pages 185-204,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Thomas Kick & Esteban Prieto, 2015. "Bank Risk and Competition: Evidence from Regional Banking Markets," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 1185-1222.
- Bruce Lyons & Minyan Zhu, 2013. "Compensating Competitors or Restoring Competition? EU Regulation of State Aid for Banks During the Financial Crisis," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 39-66, March.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Lopez, Jose A. & Saurina, Jesús, 2013. "How does competition affect bank risk-taking?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 185-195.
- Michael Koetter & James W. Kolari & Laura Spierdijk, 2012. "Enjoying the Quiet Life under Deregulation? Evidence from Adjusted Lerner Indices for U.S. Banks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 462-480, May.
- Jack Meaning & Feng Zhu, 2011. "The impact of recent central bank asset purchase programmes," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Zhu, Min, 2012. "How does bank competition affect systemic stability ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5981, The World Bank.
- Sofronis Clerides & Manthos D. Delis & Sotirios Kokas, 2013. "A new data set on competition in national banking markets," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 08-2013, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicoló, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, June.
- Freixas, Xavier & Ma, Kebin, 2014.
"Banking Competition and Stability: The Role of Leverage,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
10121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Freixas & Kebin Ma, 2015. "Banking Competition and Stability: The Role of Leverage," Working Papers 781, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Freixas, X. & Ma, K., 2014. "Banking Competition and Stability : The Role of Leverage," Discussion Paper 2014-048, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Xavier Freixas & Kebin Ma, 2014. "Banking competition and stability: The role of leverage," Economics Working Papers 1440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fu, Xiaoqing (Maggie) & Lin, Yongjia (Rebecca) & Molyneux, Philip, 2014. "Bank competition and financial stability in Asia Pacific," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 64-77.
- Boyd, John H & De Nicolo, Gianni & Smith, Bruce D, 2004.
"Crises in Competitive versus Monopolistic Banking Systems,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 487-506, June.
- Gianni De Nicoló & John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 2004. "Crises in competitive versus monopolistic banking systems," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 487-509.
- Bruce D. Smith & Gianni De Nicolo & John H. Boyd, 2003. "Crisis in Competitive Versus Monopolistic Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 03/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Andritzky, Jochen & Jobst, Andreas & Nowak, Sylwia & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2012.
"Market response to policy initiatives during the global financial crisis,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 162-177.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Jochen Andritzky & Andreas Jobst & Sylwia Nowak & Natalia Tamirisa, 2010. "Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebecca Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1996. "Banks with something to lose: the disciplinary role of franchise value," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 2(Oct), pages 1-14.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Maudos, Joaquin & de Guevara, Juan Fernandez, 2007. "The cost of market power in banking: Social welfare loss vs. cost inefficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2103-2125, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clark, Ephraim & Mare, Davide Salvatore & Radić, Nemanja, 2018. "Cooperative banks: What do we know about competition and risk preferences?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 90-101.
- Cai, Khoa & Le, Minh & Vo, Hong, 2019. "The cost of being safer in banking: Market power loss," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 116-130.
More about this item
KeywordsBank Stability; Prudential Regulation; Competition; Global Financial Crisis; European Banking Union; Government Bailouts;
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2015-11-15 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2015-11-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2015-11-15 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-COM-2015-11-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2015-11-15 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2015-11-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2015-11-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:67473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.