Workforce ageing and the training propensity of Italian firms: cross-sectional evidence from the INDACO survey
In this paper, I provide a probit analysis in which the propensity of private Italian firms to offer on-the-job training is linked to the age and the gender of the employed workforce as well as to a set of relevant corporate characteristics such as size, sector, geographical location, innovation strategies, R&D investments and the use of social safety valves. Retrieving cross-sectional data from INDACO 2009, I find that the propensity of surveyed firms towards training provision follows an inverted u-shaped pattern with respect to the average age of incumbent workers. Furthermore, I show that larger firms are more willing to offer training and the same attitude holds for productive units that adopted innovation strategies and/or invested in R&D projects. By contrast, I find that the propensity to support training activities is negatively correlated to the percentage of employed women and the use of social valves.
|Date of creation:||20 Jun 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Pfeifer & Simon Janssen & Philip Yang & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2012. "Training Participation of a Firm's Aging Workforce," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0080, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- David Neumark, 1998. "Youth Labor Markets in the U.S.: Shopping Around vs. Staying Put," NBER Working Papers 6581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xulia González & Daniel Miles-Touya & Consuelo Pazó, 2012. "R&D, Worker Training, and Innovation: Firm-level evidence," Working Papers 1203, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Redding, Stephen, 1996. "The Low-Skill, Low-Quality Trap: Strategic Complementarities between Human Capital and R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 458-70, March.
- Andrea Bassanini & Alison Booth & Giorgio Brunello & Maria De Paola & Edwin Leuven, 2006.
"Workplace training in Europe,"
- Giuseppe Croce & Massimiliano Tancioni, 2007. "Disentangling factors behind training partecipation in Italy," Working Papers 101, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Statt, A.L., 1998. "Great Prospects: Employer Provided Training as a Credible Screening Device," Working Papers Series 9802, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Jan C. van OURS, 2011.
"Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C., 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 5591, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Picchio & J. C. Van Ours, 2011. "Retaining through Training Even for Older Workers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/748, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C, 2011. "Retaining through training; even for older workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 8320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picchio, M. & van Ours, J.C., 2011. "Retaining through Training; Even for OlderWorkers," Discussion Paper 2011-040, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Tobias Stucki, 2008.
"Training Propensity of Start-ups in Switzerland - A Study Based on Data for the Start-up Cohort 1996-97,"
KOF Working papers
08-199, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Tobias Stucki, 2008. "Training Propensity of Start-ups in Switzerland - A Study Based on Data for the Start-up Cohort 1996-97," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0035, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Conti, Gabriella, 2005. "Training, productivity and wages in Italy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 557-576, August.
- Nielsen, M.S. & Rosholm, M., 1999.
"Wages, Training, and Job Turnover in a Search-Matching Model,"
99-03, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2000. "Wages, Training and Job Turnover in a Search-Matching Model," IZA Discussion Papers 223, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Weiss, Avi, 1995. "On the effects of schooling vintage on experience-earnings profiles: Theory and evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 943-955, May.
- Andrea Bassanini & Wooseok Ok, 2004. "How do firms' and individuals' incentives to invest in human capital vary across groups?," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00194344, HAL.
- Piekkola, Hannu, 2004. "Demographic Aspects of Ageing and Time Use in a Set of European Countries," Discussion Papers 899, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sandro Turcio & Paolo Calza Bini, 2005. "(English) (Italiano) Active Ageing and the Labour Market. Country report in Italy," IRPPS Working Papers 9bis:2005, National Research Council, Institute for Research on Population and Social Policies.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Brunello, Giorgio, 2003. "Is Training More Frequent When Wage Compression is Higher? Evidence from the European Community Household Panel," IZA Discussion Papers 839, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1987. "Employer Size: The Implications for Search, Training, Capital Investment, Starting Wages, and Wage Growth," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(1), pages 76-89, January.
- Cardullo, Gabriele & Guerrazzi, Marco, 2013. "The Cyclical Volatility of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies: Evidence from Italy," MPRA Paper 51726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Behaghel, Luc & Caroli, Eve & Roger, Muriel, 2011.
"Age Biased Technical and Organisational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5544, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luc Behaghel & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2014. "Age-biased Technical and Organizational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 81(322), pages 368-389, 04.
- Luc Behaghel & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2014. "Age-biased Technical and Organizational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00978400, HAL.
- Behaghel, L. & Caroli, E. & Roger, M., 2013. "Age Biased Technical and Organisational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers," Working papers 431, Banque de France.
- Kristensen, Nicolai, 2012. "Training and Retirement," IZA Discussion Papers 6301, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Piero Casadio & Martina Lo Conte & Andrea Neri, 2008. "Balancing work and family in Italy: New mothersï¿½ employment decisions after childbirth," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 684, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Canegallo, Claudia, 2001. "Una valutazione delle carriere dei giovani lavoratori atipici: la fedeltÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â aziendale premia?," POLIS Working Papers 20, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Dan A. Black & Brett J. Noel & Zheng Wang, 1999. "On-the-Job Training, Establishment Size, and Firm Size: Evidence for Economies of Scale in the Production of Human Capital," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 82-100, July.
- Schweri, Juerg & Mueller, Barbara, 2007. "Why has the share of training firms declined in Switzerland?," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(2/3), pages 149-167.
- Roberto Leombruni & Claudia Villosio, 2005. "Employability of Older Workers in Italy and Europe," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 43, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Emilio Colombo & Luca Stanca, 2008. "The Impact of Training on Productivity: Evidence from a Large Panel of Firms," Working Papers 134, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Ballot, Gerard & Fakhfakh, Fathi & Taymaz, Erol, 2001. "Firms' human capital, R&D and performance: a study on French and Swedish firms," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 443-462, September.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1979. "Bonus Payments, on-the-Job Training, and Lifetime Employment in Japan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1086-1104, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Lutz Bellmann & Hans-Dieter Gerner & Ute Leber, 2014. "Firm-Provided Training During the Great Recession," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 234(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Naoki Shintoyo, 2008. "Creation of jobs and firm-sponsored training in a matching model of unemployment," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 145-176, March.
- Riphahn, Regina T. & Trübswetter, Parvati, 2006. "Population Aging and Continued Education," IZA Discussion Papers 2415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leiponen, Aija, 2005. "Skills and innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 303-323, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:56826. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.