Financial Development, Energy Consumption and CO2 Emissions: Evidence from ARDL Approach for Pakistan
The paper explores the existence of a long run equilibrium relationship among CO2 emissions, financial development, economic growth, energy consumption, and population growth in Pakistan. ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegration is implemented to the data for 1974-2009. The results confirm a long run relation among these variables. Financial development appears to help reduce CO2 emissions. The main contributors to CO2 emissions however are: economic growth, population growth and energy consumption. Our results also lend support to the existence of Environmental Kuznets Curve for Pakistan. Based on the findings we argue that policy focus on financial development might be helpful in reducing environmental degradation.
|Date of creation:||18 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:||07 Apr 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanoie, Paul & Laplante, Benoit & Roy, Maite, 1998. "Can capital markets create incentives for pollution control?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 31-41, July.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & S M Aamir Shamim & Naveed Aamir, 2010. "Macroeconomic Environment and Financial Sector’s Performance: Econometric Evidence from Three Traditional Approaches," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1 & 2), pages 103-123, March & J.
- Kumbaroglu, Gürkan & Karali, Nihan & ArIkan, YIldIz, 2008. "CO2, GDP and RET: An aggregate economic equilibrium analysis for Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2694-2708, July.
- Persson, Tobias A. & Azar, Christian & Lindgren, Kristian, 2006. "Allocation of CO2 emission permits--Economic incentives for emission reductions in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1889-1899, September.
- Martin Wagner & Georg Müller-Fürstenberger, 2004.
"The Carbon Kuznets Curve: A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?,"
dp0418, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Wagner, Martin, 2008. "The carbon Kuznets curve: A cloudy picture emitted by bad econometrics?," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 388-408, August.
- Wagner, Martin, 2006. "The Carbon Kuznets Curve. A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?," Economics Series 197, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Say, Nuriye Peker & Yucel, Muzaffer, 2006. "Energy consumption and CO2 emissions in Turkey: Empirical analysis and future projection based on an economic growth," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3870-3876, December.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Jong Ho Hong & Laplante, Benoit & Mamingi, Nlandu, 2004. "Disclosure of environmental violations and the stock market in the Republic of Korea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3344, The World Bank.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Breuer, Janice Boucher & McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S, 2001. "Misleading Inferences from Panel Unit-Root Tests with an Illustration from Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 482-93, August.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Mihai, Mutascu & Parvez, Azim, 2011.
"Environmental Kuznets Curve in Romania and the Role of Energy Consumption,"
32254, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jul 2011.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Mutascu, Mihai & Azim, Parvez, 2013. "Environmental Kuznets curve in Romania and the role of energy consumption," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 18(C), pages 165-173.
- Ang, James B., 2008. "Economic development, pollutant emissions and energy consumption in Malaysia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 271-278.
- Dinda, Soumyananda & Coondoo, Dipankor & Pal, Manoranjan, 2000. "Air quality and economic growth: an empirical study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 409-423, September.
- Paul Turner, 2006. "Response surfaces for an F-test for cointegration," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 479-482.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008.
"An econometric study of CO2 emissions, energy consumption, income and foreign trade in Turkey,"
11457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2009. "An econometric study of CO2 emissions, energy consumption, income and foreign trade in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1156-1164, March.
- Shafik, Nemat & Bandyopadhyay, Sushenjit, 1992. "Economic growth and environmental quality : time series and cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 904, The World Bank.
- Ang, B.W. & Liu, F.L., 2001. "A new energy decomposition method: perfect in decomposition and consistent in aggregation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 537-548.
- Esmaeili, Abdoulkarim & Abdollahzadeh, Negar, 2009. "Oil exploitation and the environmental Kuznets curve," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 371-374, January.
- David I. Stern, 2003.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Stern, David I., 2004. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- Muller-Furstenberger, Georg & Wagner, Martin, 2007.
"Exploring the environmental Kuznets hypothesis: Theoretical and econometric problems,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 648-660, May.
- Müller-Fürstenberger, Georg & Wagner, Martin, 2006. "Exploring the Environmental Kuznets Hypothesis. Theoretical and Econometric Problems," Economics Series 183, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Anderson, Dennis, 1992. "Economic growth and the environment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 979, The World Bank.
- Solomon Tadesse, 2007.
"Financial Development and Technology,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp879, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2009. "CO2 emissions, energy usage, and output in Central America," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3282-3286, August.
- Antle, John M & Heidebrink, Gregg, 1995. "Environment and Development: Theory and International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(3), pages 603-25, April.
- Lean, Hooi Hooi & Smyth, Russell, 2010.
"CO2 emissions, electricity consumption and output in ASEAN,"
Elsevier, vol. 87(6), pages 1858-1864, June.
- Hooi Hooi Lean & Russell Smyth, 2009. "Co2 Emissions, Electricity Consumption And Output In Asean," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 13-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Alam, Shaista & Fatima, Ambreen & Butt, Muhammad S., 2007. "Sustainable development in Pakistan in the context of energy consumption demand and environmental degradation," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 825-837, October.
- Fodha, Mouez & Zaghdoud, Oussama, 2010. "Economic growth and pollutant emissions in Tunisia: An empirical analysis of the environmental Kuznets curve," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1150-1156, February.
- Yue-Jun Zhang, 2010.
"The impact of financial development on carbon emissions: an empirical analysis in China,"
CEEP-BIT Working Papers
8, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun, 2011. "The impact of financial development on carbon emissions: An empirical analysis in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 2197-2203, April.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, .
"Regulation and Evolution of Compliance in Common Pool Resources,"
0312, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2005. "Regulation and Evolution of Compliance in Common Pool Resources," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(3), pages 583-599, 09.
- Artur Tamazian & B. Bhaskara Rao, 2009.
"Do Economic, Financial and Institutional Developments Matter for Environmental Degradation? Evidence from Transitional Economies,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2009_02, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Tamazian, Artur & Bhaskara Rao, B., 2010. "Do economic, financial and institutional developments matter for environmental degradation? Evidence from transitional economies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 137-145, January.
- Tamazian, Artur & Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2008. "Do Economic, Financial and Institutional Developments Matter for Environmental Degradation? Evidence from Transitional Economies," MPRA Paper 13015, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Krautkraemer, Jeffrey A., 1993. "Natural resource use and the environment," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1219-1265 Elsevier.
- Jalil, Abdul & Mahmud, Syed F., 2009. "Environment Kuznets curve for CO2 emissions: A cointegration analysis for China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5167-5172, December.
- Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi, 1997. "On the temporal causal relationship between energy consumption, real income, and prices: Some new evidence from Asian-energy dependent NICs Based on a multivariate cointegration/vector error-correctio," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 417-440, August.
- Friedl, Birgit & Getzner, Michael, 2003. "Determinants of CO2 emissions in a small open economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 133-148, April.
- Jalil, Abdul & Feridun, Mete, 2011. "The impact of growth, energy and financial development on the environment in China: A cointegration analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 284-291, March.
- Ang, James B., 2007. "CO2 emissions, energy consumption, and output in France," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 4772-4778, October.
- Yuxiang, Karl & Chen, Zhongchang, 2011. "Financial development and environmental performance: evidence from China," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 93-111, February.
- He, Jie, 2009. "China's industrial SO2 emissions and its economic determinants: EKC's reduced vs. structural model and the role of international trade," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 227-262, April.
- Shafik, Nemat, 1994. "Economic Development and Environmental Quality: An Econometric Analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 757-73, Supplemen.
- Hamilton, Clive & Turton, Hal, 2002. "Determinants of emissions growth in OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 63-71, January.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol & Smith, Richard J., 2000.
"Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-343, August.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1997. "Structural Analysis of Vector Error Correction Models with Exogenous I(1) Variables," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9706, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Talukdar, Debabrata & Meisner, Craig M., 2001. "Does the Private Sector Help or Hurt the Environment? Evidence from Carbon Dioxide Pollution in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 827-840, May.
- AkbostancI, Elif & Türüt-AsIk, Serap & Tunç, G. Ipek, 2009. "The relationship between income and environment in Turkey: Is there an environmental Kuznets curve?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 861-867, March.
- Mohammad Shahbaz, 2009. "A Reassessment of Finance-Growth Nexus for Pakistan: Under the Investigation of FMOLS and DOLS Techniques," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 65-80, January.
- Tamazian, Artur & Chousa, Juan Piñeiro & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2009. "Does higher economic and financial development lead to environmental degradation: Evidence from BRIC countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 246-253, January.
- Song, Tao & Zheng, Tingguo & Tong, Lianjun, 2008. "An empirical test of the environmental Kuznets curve in China: A panel cointegration approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 381-392, September.
- Bazoumana Ouattara, 2006. "Aid, debt and fiscal policies in Senegal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 1105-1122.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.