Labour market transition in Italy: an empirical investigation
In this paper I study the effects of the introduction of Treu package on the hazard rate of moving from a temporary job to a stable work in Italy. In order to enhance the flexibility of labour market and to stress the capabilities to create job, a progressive liberalization of flexible contracts has been adopted in Italy during the ‘90s, widening their scope and easing their adoption. The empirical exercise is carried out using an administrative dataset, Clap, extracted by the social security archives for the years 1992-2002. I apply a parametric and semi-parametric continuous time duration model to investigate whether the recent reform has changed the pattern of duration dependence in temporary employment duration. The main findings emphasize how the Treu package has substantially reduced the positive duration dependence in the hazard rate of moving from temporary to permanent employment. This result is robust to different specifications adopted for the baseline hazard. However, an even stronger conclusion concerns the temporary work agency (TWA) employment which exhibits a negative duration dependence in the post-reform period, probably indicating a negative relation between contract duration and the probability to moving into permanent employment for this contractual type. Finally I find large differences in terms of individual and job-related characteristics.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matteo Picchio, 2012.
"The Dynamics of Unemployment, Temporary and Permanent Employment in Italy,"
AIEL Series in Labour Economics,
in: Tindara Addabbo & Giovanni Solinas (ed.), Non-Standard Employment and Quality of Work. The Case of Italy, edition 1, chapter 7, pages 127-147
AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Matteo PICCHIO, 2007. "The Dynamics of Unemployment, Temporary and Permanent Employment in Italy," Working Papers 286, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Lorenzo Corsini & Marco Guerrazzi, 2007. "The Transition from Temporary to Permanent Employment: Evidence from Tuscany," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(2), pages 303-332, 06.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, 2007. "Two Tier Reforms of Employment Protection: a Honeymoon Effect?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 357-385, 06.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, 2007. "Two Tier Reforms of Employment Protection: A Honeymoon Effect?," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 37, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Marco Valentini, 2012. "Labour Market Segmentation, Flexibility and Precariousness in the Italian North East," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Tindara Addabbo & Giovanni Solinas (ed.), Non-Standard Employment and Quality of Work. The Case of Italy, edition 1, chapter 8, pages 149-172 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Marco Valentini, 2006. "Labour Market Segmentation, Flexibility and Precariousness in the Italian North East," Working Papers 2006_03_EV, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Valentini, Marco, 2008. "Labour Market Segmentation, Flexibility and Precariousness in the Italian North East," MPRA Paper 10353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hector Sala & José I. Silva & Manuel Toledo, 2012. "Flexibility at the Margin and Labor Market Volatility in OECD Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(3), pages 991-1017, 09.
- Toledo, Manuel E. & Silva, José I. & Sala, Hector, 2007. "Flexibility at the margin and labor market volatility in OECD countries," UC3M Working papers. Economics we075832, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Sala, Hector & Silva, José I. & Toledo, Manuel E., 2008. "Flexibility at the Margin and Labor Market Volatility in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3293, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tommaso NANNICINI, 2004. "The Take-off of Temporary Employment in the Italian Labor Market," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/09, European University Institute.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, December.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 486, OECD Publishing.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, 2000. "Work Transitions into and Out of Involuntary Temporary Employment in a Segmented Market: Evidence from Spain," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(2), pages 309-325, January.
- O Blanchard & A Landier, 2002. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labour Market Reform: fixed--Term Contracts in France," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages 214-244, June.
- Arellano, F. Alfonso, 2005. "Evaluating the effects of labour market reforms at the margin on unemployment and employment stability: the Spanish case," UC3M Working papers. Economics we051205, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- J. Ignacio García‐Pérez & Fernando Muñoz‐Bullón, 2011. "Transitions into Permanent Employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis for Young Workers," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 49(1), pages 103-143, March.
- Muñoz-Bullón, Fernando & García-Pérez, J. Ignacio, 2007. "Transitions into permanent employment in Spain : an empirical analysis for young workers," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb073808, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Fernando Muñoz-Bullón & J. Ignacio García-Pérez, 2007. "Transitions into Permanent Employment in Spain:An Empirical Analysis for Young Workers," Working Papers 2007-09, FEDEA.
- Fabio Berton & Francesco Devicienti & Lia Pacelli, 2007. "Temporary jobs: Port of entry, Trap, or just Unobserved Heterogeneity?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 68, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Fabio Berton, 2008. "The (long) run out of unemployment: are temporary jobs the shortest way?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 76, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Andrea Montanino & Paolo Sestito, 2003. "Le molte funzioni del lavoro interinale in Italia: da strumento di flessibilità a contratto di prova," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 93(2), pages 115-148, March-Apr.
- D'Addio, Anna Cristina & Rosholm, Michael, 2005. "Exits from temporary jobs in Europe: A competing risks analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 449-468, August.
- Andrea Ichino & Fabrizia Mealli & Tommaso Nannicini, 2005. "Temporary Work Agencies in Italy: A Springboard Toward Permanent Employment?," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.