Temporary Work Agencies in Italy: A Springboard Toward Permanent Employment?
This paper measures to what extent Temporary Work Agency (TWA) employment creates a "springboard" toward permanent jobs, or a "trap" of endless precariousness. Applying Propensity Score matching in the presence of choice-based sampling, we estimate the causal effect of the treatment "TWA assignment" on the outcome "finding a permanent job after 18 months". The data come trom Italy, where TWA employment was liberalized in 1997, and they were specifically collected for this evaluation study. We show that a TWA assignment increases the probability of finding a permanent job by 19 percentage points in Tuscany and by 11 percentage points in Sicily, although this second effect is only barely significant. These effects are large given that the observed baseline probabilities in the treated goup are respectively 31% and 23% in the two regions. This treatment effect is highly heterogeneous with respect to observable characteristics such as age, education and firm's sector.
Volume (Year): 64 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Autor, 2000.
"Outsourcing at Will: Unjust Dismissal Doctrine and the Growth of Temporary Help Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
7557, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor, 2000. "Outsourcing at Will: Unjust Dismissal Doctrine and the Growth of Temporary Help Employment," JCPR Working Papers 153, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Maia Güell & Barbara Petrongolo, 2003.
"How binding are legal limits? Transitions from temporary to permanent work in Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
682, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2005.
- Guell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2007. "How binding are legal limits? Transitions from temporary to permanent work in Spain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 153-183, April.
- Güell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2003. "How Binding Are Legal Limits? Transitions from Temporary to Permanent Work in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 782, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Güell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2003. "How Binding are Legal Limits? Transitions from Temporary to Permanent Work in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 3931, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maia Güell & Barbara Petrongolo, 2003. "How Binding are Legal Limits? Transitions from Termporary to Permanent Work in Spain," Working Papers 75, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002.
"Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones Or Dead Ends?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F189-F213, June.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 8, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Booth, Alison L. & Francesconi, Marco & Frank, Jeff, 2000. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," IZA Discussion Papers 205, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manski, Charles F & Lerman, Steven R, 1977. "The Estimation of Choice Probabilities from Choice Based Samples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1977-88, November.
- Tommaso NANNICINI, 2004. "The Take-off of Temporary Employment in the Italian Labor Market," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/09, European University Institute.
- Zijl, Marloes & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Heyma, Arjan, 2004.
"Stepping Stones for the Unemployed: The Effect of Temporary Jobs on the Duration until Regular Work,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1241, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marloes de Graaf-Zijl & Gerard van den Berg & Arjan Heyma, 2011. "Stepping stones for the unemployed: the effect of temporary jobs on the duration until (regular) work," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 107-139, January.
- Zijl, Marloes & van den Berg, Gerard J & Heyma, Arjan, 2004. "Stepping-stones for the unemployed: The effect of temporary jobs on the duration until regular work," Working Paper Series 2004:19, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Lechner, Michael & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Spengler, Hannes & Almus, Matthias, 2000. "The impact of non-profit temping agencies on individual labour market success in the West German state of Rhineland-Palatinate," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-02, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst & Sébastien Jean & Paulo Santiago & Paul Swaim, 2001. "Product and Labour Markets Interactions in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 312, OECD Publishing.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2005.
"Does Temporary Agency Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2005-031, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2005. "Does Temporary Agency Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?," Labor and Demography 0510005, EconWPA.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Miguel A. Malo & Fernando Muñoz-Bullón, . "Temporary help agencies and the labour market biography: A sequences-oriented approach," Studies on the Spanish Economy 132, FEDEA.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Causal Effects in Non-Experimental Studies: Re-Evaluating the Evaluation of Training Programs," NBER Working Papers 6586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gde:journl:gde_v64_n1_p1-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.