The (long) run out of unemployment: are temporary jobs the shortest way?
A higher job creation is a common result by many theoretical approaches trying to model marginal labor market reforms. In the framework proposed by Berton and Garibaldi , in particular, the equilibrium arrival rate of temporary job offers is expected to be higher than the arrival rate of permanent ones. In this paper I use a sample of prime aged male workers from WHIP in a competing risks framework in order to compare the duration of unemployment spells terminated by jobs that only di¤er in their formal duration. I fnd that the arrival rate of fixed term jobs is actually larger than the arrival rate of permanent ones; this result is robust to the main sources of unobserved heterogeneity. However, the average duration of unemployment in Italy is still very high and the liberalization of flexible contracts as a policy to reduce it did not completely solve the problem.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.laboratoriorevelli.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2006. "Duration of unemployment benefits and quality of post-unemployment jobs : evidence from a natural experiment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4031, The World Bank.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001.
"Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002. "Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002.
"Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001. "Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olympia Bover & Ramón Gómez, 2004. "Another look at unemployment duration: exit to a permanent vs. a temporary job," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(2), pages 285-314, May.
- Leonello Tronti & Francesca Ceccato & Eleonora Cimino, 2004. "Measuring Atypical Jobs: Levels and Changes," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2004/1, OECD Publishing.
- Peter Haan & Arne Uhlendorff, 2006.
"Estimation of Multinomial Logit Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity Using Maximum Simulated Likelihood,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
573, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Haan & Arne Uhlendorff, 2006. "Estimation of multinomial logit models with unobserved heterogeneity using maximum simulated likelihood," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(2), pages 229-245, June.
- Fabio Berton & Francesco Devicienti & Lia Pacelli, 2007. "Temporary jobs: Port of entry, Trap, or just Unobserved Heterogeneity?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 68, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5573980 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Matteo PICCHIO, 2006. "Temporary Jobs and State Dependence in Italy," Working Papers 272, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Fabio Berton & Pietro Garibladi, 2006.
"Workers and Firms Sorting into Temporary Jobs,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
51, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Olivier Blanchard & Augustin Landier, 2001. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labor Market Reform: Fixed Duration Contracts in France," NBER Working Papers 8219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wplabo:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.