The (long) run out of unemployment: are temporary jobs the shortest way?
A higher job creation is a common result by many theoretical approaches trying to model marginal labor market reforms. In the framework proposed by Berton and Garibaldi , in particular, the equilibrium arrival rate of temporary job offers is expected to be higher than the arrival rate of permanent ones. In this paper I use a sample of prime aged male workers from WHIP in a competing risks framework in order to compare the duration of unemployment spells terminated by jobs that only di¤er in their formal duration. I fnd that the arrival rate of fixed term jobs is actually larger than the arrival rate of permanent ones; this result is robust to the main sources of unobserved heterogeneity. However, the average duration of unemployment in Italy is still very high and the liberalization of flexible contracts as a policy to reduce it did not completely solve the problem.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.laboratoriorevelli.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5573980 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002.
"Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001. "Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Haan & Arne Uhlendorff, 2006.
"Estimation of Multinomial Logit Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity Using Maximum Simulated Likelihood,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
573, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Haan & Arne Uhlendorff, 2006. "Estimation of multinomial logit models with unobserved heterogeneity using maximum simulated likelihood," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(2), pages 229-245, June.
- van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2006. "Duration of unemployment benefits and quality of post-unemployment jobs : evidence from a natural experiment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4031, The World Bank.
- Fabio Berton & Pietro Garibaldi, 2012.
"Workers and Firms Sorting into Temporary Jobs,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(562), pages F125-F154, 08.
- Olympia Bover & Ramón Gómez, 2004. "Another look at unemployment duration: exit to a permanent vs. a temporary job," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(2), pages 285-314, May.
- Matteo PICCHIO, 2006. "Temporary Jobs and State Dependence in Italy," Working Papers 272, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Fabio Berton & Francesco Devicienti & Lia Pacelli, 2007. "Temporary jobs: Port of entry, Trap, or just Unobserved Heterogeneity?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 68, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Olivier Blanchard & Augustin Landier, 2001. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labor Market Reform: Fixed Duration Contracts in France," NBER Working Papers 8219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonello Tronti & Francesca Ceccato & Eleonora Cimino, 2004. "Measuring Atypical Jobs: Levels and Changes," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2004/1, OECD Publishing.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002.
"Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001. "Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wplabo:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.