Duration of unemployment benefits and quality of post-unemployment jobs : evidence from a natural experiment
This paper investigates how the potential duration of unemployment benefits affects the quality of post-unemployment jobs. It takes advantage of a natural experiment introduced by a change in Slovenia's unemployment insurance law that substantially reduced the potential benefit duration. Although this reduction strongly increased job finding rates, the quality of the post-unemployment jobs remained unaffected. The paper finds that the law change had no effect on the type of contract (temporary versus permanent), the duration of the post-unemployment job, or the wage earned in the job.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arlene Holen, 1977. "Effects of Unemployment Insurance Entitlement on Duration and Job Search Outcome," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 445-450, July.
- Boheim, Rene & Taylor, Mark P., 2002.
"The search for success: do the unemployed find stable employment?,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 717-735, December.
- BÃ¶heim, RenÃ© & Taylor, Mark P., 2000. "The search for success: do the unemployed find stable employment?," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-05, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2009.
"Unemployment Insurance in Europe: Unemployment Duration and Subsequent Employment Stability,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 7(6), pages 1225-1260, December.
- Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2006. "Unemployment Insurance in Europe: Unemployment Duration and Subsequent Employment Stability," IZA Discussion Papers 2280, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vodopivec, Milan & Raju, Dhushyanth, 2002. "Income support systems for the unemployed : issues and options," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 25529, The World Bank.
- Klasen, Stephan & Woolard, Ingrid, 2000.
"Surviving Unemployment without State Support: Unemployment and Household Formation in South Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephan Klasen & Ingrid Woolard, 2009. "Surviving Unemployment Without State Support: Unemployment and Household Formation in South Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 18(1), pages 1-51, January.
- Stephan Klasen & Ingrid Woolard, 2001. "Surviving Unemployment without State Support: Unemployment and Household Formation in South Africa," CESifo Working Paper Series 533, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stephen Klasen & Ingrid Woolard, 2005. "Surviving unemployment without state support: Unemployment and household formation in South Africa," SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers 129, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- John M. Barron & Wesley Mellow, 1979. "Search Effort in the Labor Market," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 389-404.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1976. "Unemployment Insurance, Duration of Unemployment, and Subsequent Wage Gain," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 754-66, December.
- Addison, John T. & Blackburn, McKinley L., 2000. "The effects of unemployment insurance on postunemployment earnings," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-53, January.
- repec:sae:ilrrev:v:30:y:1977:i:4:p:438-444 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Belzil, 2001. "Unemployment insurance and subsequent job duration: job matching versus unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 619-636.
- Pedro Portugal & John T. Addison, 2008.
"Six Ways To Leave Unemployment,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(4), pages 393-419, 09.
- Jan C. van Ours & Milan Vodopivec, 2006. "How Shortening the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits Affects the Duration of Unemployment: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 351-378, April.
- Jurajda, Stepan, 2002.
"Estimating the effect of unemployment insurance compensation on the labor market histories of displaced workers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 227-252, June.
- Jurajda, Štepán, 2001. "Estimating the Effect of Unemployment Insurance Compensation on the Labor Market Histories of Displaced Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 294, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul L. Burgess & Jerry L. Kingston, 1976. "The Impact of Unemployment Insurance Benefits on Reemployment Success," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(1), pages 25-31, October.
- Blau, David M. & Robins, Philip K., 1986. "Job search, wage offers, and unemployment insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 173-197, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.