Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain
During the last two decades many EU countries have reformed the set of legal rules that regulate dismissals. In contrast with other institutional reforms of the labour market, there seems to be a common strategy of maintaining strict employment protection legislation for workers under the typical ‘full-time’/permanent employment contract, but liberalising ‘atypical’/temporary/part-time employment contracts for new entrants in the labour market. As a result, the incidence of temporary employment has noticeably increased across the EU, Spain being the paramount case in this regard. In this Paper we aim at two goals. First, we take stock of the available Spanish evidence regarding the consequences of a dual labour market -in which one-third of employees are under very flexible employment contracts with low severance payments and two-thirds are under permanent employment contracts with very high employment protection- and the lessons which can be drawn for other countries. Secondly, we address the puzzle of why temporary employment in Spain remains so high, despite recent labour market reforms which have reduced firing costs under the permanent contract and restricted the use of temporary contracts.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2000.
"Flexibility vs. Rigidity: Does Spain have the worst of both Worlds?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
144, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gilles Saint Paul, 2000. "Flexibility vs. rigidity: Does Spain have the worst of both worlds?," Economics Working Papers 450, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009.
"Labor contracts and flexibility : evidence from a labor market reform in Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
we091811, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2014. "Labor Contracts And Flexibility: Evidence From A Labor Market Reform In Spain," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(2), pages 930-957, 04.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009. "Labor Contracts and Flexibility: Evidence from a Labor Market Reform in Spain," Working Papers tecipa-346, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Boeri, Tito, 1999.
"Enforcement of employment security regulations, on-the-job search and unemployment duration,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 65-89, January.
- Boeri, Tito, 1998. "Enforcement of Employment Security Regulations, On-The-Job Search and Unemployment Duration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002.
"Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones Or Dead Ends?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F189-F213, June.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 8, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Booth, Alison L. & Francesconi, Marco & Frank, Jeff, 2000. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," IZA Discussion Papers 205, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bentolila, Samuel, 1997.
"Sticky labor in Spanish regions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 591-598, April.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno, .
"The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain,"
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 1997. "The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 713-721, April.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1991. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Flexible Labour Contracts: An Application to Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Hopenhayn, Hugo A., 1997. "Labor-market flexibility and aggregate employment volatility," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 189-228, June.
- Miguel �. Malo, 2000. "A Simple Model of Severance Pay Determination: The Case of Individual Dismissals in Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(2), pages 269-290, 06.
- Olivier Blanchard & Augustin Landier, 2001. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labor Market Reform: Fixed Duration Contracts in France," NBER Working Papers 8219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maia Güell, 2003.
"Fixed-term Contracts and Unemployment: an Efficiency Wage Analysis,"
18, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Maia Guell, 2000. "Fixed-term contracts and unemployment: an efficiency wage analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20181, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Maia Guell, 2000. "Fixed-term Contracts and Unemployment: an Efficiency Wage Analysis," Working Papers 812, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Maia Güell, 2000. "Fixed-Term Contracts and Unemployment: An Efficiency Wage Analysis," CEP Discussion Papers dp0461, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 2001.
"The Distribution of Earnings in Spain During the 1980s: The Effects of Skill, Unemployment and Union Power,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2770, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olympia Bover & Samuel Bentolila & Manuel Arellano, 2000. "The Distribution of Earnings in Spain During the 1980s: the Effects of Skill, Unemployment, and Union Power," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0015, Banco de Espa�a.
- J Jimeno & C Serrano, 1999. "Labour Reallocation, Labour Flaws and Labour Market Institutions: Evidence from Spain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0414, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara & Felgueroso, Florentino, 2002. "Wage differentials between Permanent and Temporal Contracts: Further Evidence," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-07, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Juan F. Jimeno & Luis Toharia, 1993. "The effects of fixed-term employment on wages: theory and evidence from Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(3), pages 475-494, September.
- Maia Güell & Barbara Petrongolo, 2000. "Workers Transitions from Temporary to Permanent Employment: the Spanish Case," CEP Discussion Papers dp0438, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2884. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.