Flexibility vs. Rigidity: Does Spain have the worst of both Worlds?
In this paper we study the structure of labor market flows in Spain and compare them with France and the US. We characterize a number of empirical regularities and stylized facts. One striking result is that the job finding rate is slightly higher than in France, while the jon loss rate is much higher, putting Spain half-way between France and the US. This suggests that while Spain has borne the full cost of its labor market reforms in terms of job precarity, the benefits in terms of job creation have been quite modest. We hypothesize that this has been due to the reform’s credibility being imperfect, which leads to expectation of reversal.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Jonas Agell, Michael Keen and Alfons Weichenrieder (eds.), Labor Market Institutions and Public Regulation, 2004, 101-122|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1999.
"Overtime Work and Overtime Compensation in Germany,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(4), pages 419-36, September.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Overtime Work and Overtime Compensation in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 48, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bell, D. & RA Hart, 1999.
"Overtime Working in an Unregulated Labour Market,"
Working Papers Series
9904, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Hart, Robert A. & Ritchie, Felix, 1999. "Tenure-based Wage Setting," IZA Discussion Papers 47, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hart, Robert A. & Malley, James R., 1999.
"On the Cyclicality and Stability of Real Earnings,"
IZA Discussion Papers
45, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Belzil, Christian & Hansen, Jörgen, 1999. "Household Characteristics, Ability and Education: Evidence from a Dynamic Expected Utility Model," IZA Discussion Papers 43, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.