Working Time and Employment under Uncertainty
The standard literature on working time has modelled the decisions of firms in a deterministic framework in which firms can choose between employment and overtime (given mandated standard hours). Contrary to this approach, we consider the impact of uncertainty and real options on the decision of working time and examine the determinants of employment and hours in a stochastic framework. A number of simulation exercises to illustrate the workings of the model are also undertaken.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calmfors, Lars & Hoel, Michael, 1989. "Work Sharing, Employment and Shiftwork," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 758-73, October.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & Graafland, Johan J. & de Mooij, Ruud A., 2000.
"Tax reform and the Dutch labor market: an applied general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 193-214, October.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & de Mooij, Ruud A & Graafland, Johan J, 1998. "Tax Reform and the Dutch Labour Market: An Applied General Equilibrium Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Graafland, J.J. & de Mooij, R.A., 2000. "Tax reform and the Dutch labour market : An applied general equilibrium approach," Other publications TiSEM a22f887a-ce1a-4aa2-ad01-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Johan J. Graafland & Ruud A. de Mooij, 1998. "Tax Reform and the Dutch Labor Market: An Applied General Equilibrium Approach," NBER Working Papers 6693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta & Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Summary Indicators of Product Market Regulation with an Extension to Employment Protection Legislation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999.
"New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999. "New developments in models of search in the labor market," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627 Elsevier.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999.
"Overtime Work and Overtime Compensation in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
48, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1999. "Overtime Work and Overtime Compensation in Germany," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(4), pages 419-36, September.
- Christopher Pissarides, 1997.
"The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages : the role of unemployment benefits and tax structure,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2332, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1998. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-183, January.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1997. "The Impact of Employment Tax Cuts on Unemployment and Wages: The Role of Unemployment Benefits and Tax Structure," CEP Discussion Papers dp0361, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Felix R. FitzRoy & Michael Funke & Michael A. Nolan, 1999. "Working Time, Taxation and Unemployment," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 199901, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1999.
"Employment and Distributional Effects of Restricting Working Time,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2127, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2000. "Employment and distributional effects of restricting working time," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1291-1326, June.
- Marimon, R. & Zilibotti, F., 1999. "Employment and Distributional Effects of Restricting Working Time," Economics Working Papers eco99/19, European University Institute.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997. "Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis," Staff Report 239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Alison Booth & Yu-Fu Chen & Gylfi Zoega, 1999.
"Hiring And Firing: A Tale Of Two Thresholds,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
095, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-78, April.
- G Houpis, 1993. "The Effect of Lower Hours of Work on Wages and Employment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0131, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1985. "Work sharing, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 293-309.
- Una-Louise Bell, 1996. "Adjustment Costs, Uncertainty and Employment Inertia," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9620, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1991. "On the Sign of the Investment-Uncertainty Relationship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 279-88, March.
- Calmfors, Lars & Hoel, Michael, 1988. " Work Sharing and Overtime," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(1), pages 45-62.
- FitzRoy, Felix R. & Funke, Michael & Nolan, Michael A., 2002. "Working time, taxation and unemployment in general equilibrium," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 333-344, June.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Zoega, Gylfi, 1999. "On the effectiveness of firing costs1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 335-354, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.