Overtime Working in an Unregulated Labour Market
Using individual-level data on male non-managerial workers from the 1996 British New Earnings Survey, we estimate overtime hours and average premium pay equations. Among other issues, four broad questions are of central importance. (a) What are the impacts of straight-time pay and hours on overtime pay and hours? (b) Is premium pay positively related to the length of weekly overtime? (c) What is the influence of collective bargaining coverage on overtime pay and hours? (d) Does overtime working serve significantly to alter wage earnings differentials between covered and uncovered workers? These and other issues are discussed comparatively in relation to unregulated British overtime working practices and to the United States were overtime is subject to mandatory rules.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Publication status:||published as "Wages, hours, and overtime premia: evidence from the British labor market" in: Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2003, 56 (3), 470-480|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bell, D. & RA Hart & O Huebler & W Schwerdt, 1999. "Labour Market Adjustment on the Intensive Margin: A Comparative Study of Germany and the UK," Working Papers Series 9903, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986.
"The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 101(3), pages 513-542.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1984. "The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 735, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986. "The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor," NBER Working Papers 1899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David N F Bell & Robert A Hart, 1995. "Working Time in Great Britain, 1975-1990," Working Papers Series 95/9, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-321, May.
- R A Hart & R J Ruffell, 1989. "Costs, Efficiency and Labour Demand," Working Papers Series 89/9, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Bell, David N F & Hart, Robert A, 1999. "Unpaid Work," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 271-290, May.
- Bell, D. & Hart, R.A., 1998. "Unpaid Work," Working Papers Series 9803, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Calmfors, Lars & Hoel, Michael, 1988. " Work Sharing and Overtime," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(1), pages 45-62.
- Hart, Robert A & Ruffell, Robin J, 1993. "The Cost of Overtime Hours in British Production Industries," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 183-201, May.
- Robert A Hart & Robin J Ruffell, 1992. "The Cost of Overtime Hours in British Production Industries," Working Papers Series 92/1, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Bils, Mark, 1987. "The Cyclical Behavior of Marginal Cost and Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 838-855, December.
- Blundell, Richard & Ham, John & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Unemployment and Female Labour Supply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 44-64, Supplemen.
- Blundell, Richard William & Ham, John & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Unemployment and Female Labour Supply," CEPR Discussion Papers 149, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-278, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)