The Dynamics of Unemployment, Temporary and Permanent Employment in Italy
This paper evaluates whether and on the extent to which temporary jobs have been a springboard to regular jobs in Italy. Using the 2000, 2002, and 2004 waves of the Survey of Italian Households' Income and Wealth several dynamic unobserved effects probit models for the probability of having a permanent job are estimated. The main results show that a temporary position, rather than being unemployed, significantly increases the probability of having a permanent job 2 years later of about 13.5-16 percentage points. The robustness of this stepping stone effect is then assessed relaxing the parametric assumptions on unobserved individual heterogeneity.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rob Alessie & Stefan Hochguertel & Arthur van Soest, 2004.
"Ownership of Stocks and Mutual Funds: A Panel Data Analysis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 783-796, August.
- Alessie, R.J.M. & Hochgürtel, S. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2004. "Ownership of stocks and mutual funds : A panel data analysis," Other publications TiSEM 471d7c77-905c-4d47-84b9-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Alessie, R.J.M. & Hochgürtel, S. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2001. "Ownership of Stocks and Mutual Funds : A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Paper 2001-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Alessie, Rob & Stefan Hochguertel & Arthur van Soest, 2002. "Ownership of Stocks and Mutual Funds: A Panel Data Analysis," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 3, Royal Economic Society.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002.
"Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
8, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Juan F. Jimeno & Luis Toharia, 1993. "The effects of fixed-term employment on wages: theory and evidence from Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(3), pages 475-494, September.
- Andrea Ichino & Fabrizia Mealli & Tommaso Nannicini, 2005. "Temporary Work Agencies in Italy: A Springboard Toward Permanent Employment?," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, September.
- Matteo, PICCHIO, 2006. "Wage Differentials and Temporary Jobs in Italy," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.