Does dual employment protection affect TFP? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms
This paper analyzes the effect of having a large gap in firing costs between permanent and temporary workers in a dual labour market on TFP development at the firm level. We propose a simple model showing that, under plausible conditions, both temporary workers' effort and firms' temp-to-perm conversion rates decrease when that gap increases. We test this implication by means of a panel of Spanish manufacturing firms from 1991 to 2005, using as natural experiments some labour market reforms entailing substantial changes in this gap. Our main empirical finding is that reforms leading to a lower gap enhanced conversion rates, which in turn increased firms' TFP, and conversely for reforms that increased the gap.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2007.
"How binding are legal limits? Transitions from temporary to permanent work in Spain,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 153-183, April.
- Güell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2003. "How Binding are Legal Limits? Transitions from Temporary to Permanent Work in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 3931, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maia Güell & Barbara Petrongolo, 2003. "How binding are legal limits? Transitions from temporary to permanent work in Spain," Economics Working Papers 682, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2005.
- Maia Güell & Barbara Petrongolo, 2003. "How Binding are Legal Limits? Transitions from Termporary to Permanent Work in Spain," Working Papers 75, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Güell, Maia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2003. "How Binding Are Legal Limits? Transitions from Temporary to Permanent Work in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 782, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- César Alonso-Borrego, 2010. "Firm behavior, market deregulation and productivity in Spain," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 1035, Banco de Espa�a.
- Andrea Bassanini & Luca Nunziata & Danielle Venn, 2009.
"Job protection legislation and productivity growth in OECD countries,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 349-402, 04.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Nunziata, Luca & Venn, Danielle, 2008. "Job Protection Legislation and Productivity Growth in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3555, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009.
"Labor contracts and flexibility : evidence from a labor market reform in Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
we091811, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2014. "Labor Contracts And Flexibility: Evidence From A Labor Market Reform In Spain," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(2), pages 930-957, 04.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Cesar Alonso-Borrego, 2009. "Labor Contracts and Flexibility: Evidence from a Labor Market Reform in Spain," Working Papers tecipa-346, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Álvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2011.
"Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
2011-10, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Alvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2008. "Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle : evidence from Spanish manufacturing surveys," Economics Working Papers we085125, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Claudio Michelacci & Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2012. "Intertemporal Labour Supply with Search Frictions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(3), pages 899-931.
- González, Xulia & Miles-Touya, Daniel, 2012. "Labor market rigidities and economic efficiency: Evidence from Spain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 833-845.
- Sara Rica & Juan Dolado & Vanesa Llorens, 2008. "Ceilings or floors? Gender wage gaps by education in Spain," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 751-776, July.
- repec:oup:restud:v:79:y::i:3:p:899-931 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.