Still At Work? An empirical test of competing theories of long hours culture
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sousa-Poza, Alfonso & Ziegler, Alexandre, 2003. "Asymmetric information about workers' productivity as a cause for inefficient long working hours," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 727-747, December.
- Edward C. Prescott, 2004.
"Why do Americans work so much more than Europeans?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Jul, pages 2-13.
- Edward C. Prescott, 2003. "Why do Americans work so much more than Europeans?," Staff Report 321, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "Why do Americans Work so Much More than Europeans?," NBER Working Papers 10316, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "Why Do Americans Work So Much More Than Europeans?," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000413, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jongsoog Kim & Lydia Zepeda, 2004. "When The Work Is Never Done: Time Allocation In Us Family Farm Households," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 115-139.
- Rebitzer, James B & Taylor, Lowell J, 1995.
"Do Labor Markets Provide Enough Short-Hour Jobs? An Analysis of Work Hours and Work Incentives,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 257-273, April.
- James B. Rebitzer & Lowell J. Taylor, 1991. "Do Labor Markets Provide Enough Short Hour Jobs? An Analysis of Work Hours and Work Incentives," NBER Working Papers 3883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1999. "The Timing of Work over Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 37-66, January.
- Hart,Robert A., 2004. "The Economics of Overtime Working," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521801423, March.
- Michael White & Stephen Hill & Patrick McGovern & Colin Mills & Deborah Smeaton, 2003. "'High-performance' Management Practices, Working Hours and Work-Life Balance," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 175-195, June.
- Bell, David N F & Hart, Robert A, 1999. "Unpaid Work," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 271-290, May.
- Matthew Gray & Lixia Qu, 2004.
"Long work hours and the wellbeing of fathers and their families,"
Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE),
Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 7(2), pages 255-273, June.
- Ruth Weston & Matthew Gray & Lixia Qu & David Stanton, 2004. "Long work hours and the wellbeing of fathers and their families," Labor and Demography 0405007, EconWPA.
- Randy Hodson, 2004. "Work Life and Social Fulfillment: Does Social Affiliation at Work Reflect a Carrot or a Stick?," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 85(2), pages 221-239.
- Gerhard BOSCH, 1999. "Working time: Tendencies and emerging issues," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 138(2), pages 131-149, June.
- Elise Gould, 2004. "Decomposing the effects of children's health on mother's labor supply: is it time or money?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 525-541.
- Jacobsen, Joyce P. & Kooreman, Peter, 2005.
"Timing constraints and the allocation of time: The effects of changing shopping hours regulations in The Netherlands,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 9-27, January.
- Jacobsen, Joyce P. & Kooreman, Peter, 2004. "Timing Constraints and the Allocation of Time: The Effects of Changing Shopping Hours Regulations in the Netherlands," IZA Discussion Papers 1309, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marc Cowling, 2002. "The extent and determination of performance related pay systems in Scandinavian countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 305-316.
- Wim Groot & Henriëtte Van Den Brink, 2002. "Age and Education Differences in Marriages and their Effects on Life Satisfaction," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 153-165, June.
- Barmby, Tim & Sessions, John G & Treble, John G, 1994. " Absenteeism, Efficiency Wages and Shirking," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(4), pages 561-566.
- Meng-Wen Tsou & Jin-Tan Liu, 2001. "Happiness and Domain Satisfaction in Taiwan," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 269-288, September.
- Tenbrunsel, Ann E. & Brett, Jeanne M. & Maoz, Eyal & Stroh, Linda K. & Reilly, Anne H., 1995. "Dynamic and Static Work-Family Relationships," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 233-246, September.
- Assar Lindbeck & Dennis J. Snower, 2001. "Insiders versus Outsiders," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 165-188, Winter.
- Peetz, D & Townsend, K & Russell, B & Houghton, C & Allan, C & Fox, A, 2003. "Race against time: Extended hours in Australia," Australian Bulletin of Labour, National Institute of Labour Studies, vol. 29(2), pages 126-142.
More about this item
Keywordslong hours work; labour-leisure trade-offs; labour supply;
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-02-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-02-10 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .