Timing Constraints and the Allocation of Time: The Effects of Changing Shopping Hours Regulations in the Netherlands
A 1996 change in shopping hours regulations in the Netherlands provides an opportunity to study the effects of timing constraints on total time spent in shopping, working, and other activities as well as the timing of these activities. We develop a simple structural model to make predictions about the effects of imposition and relaxation of a timing constraint on time use patterns, and utilize time diary data from 1995, 1997, 1999, and 2000 to examine time use patterns by demographic group before and after the change. In addition to a change in the timing of shopping, we find a non-negligible increase in the total time spent shopping.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: European Economic Review, 2005, 49 (1), 9-27|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1996. "The Timing of Work Time Over Time," NBER Working Papers 5855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chandra Bhat & Rajul Misra, 1999. "Discretionary activity time allocation of individuals between in-home and out-of-home and between weekdays and weekends," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 193-229, May.
- Paul Lanoie & Georges A. Tanguay & Luc Vallée, 1994. "Short-term Impact of Shopping-hour Deregulation: Welfare Implications and Policy Analysis," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 20(2), pages 177-188, June.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2002.
"Timing, togetherness and time windfalls,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 601-623.
- Tanguay, Georges & Vallee, Luc & Lanoie, Paul, 1995. "Shopping Hours and Price Levels in the Retailing Industry: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(3), pages 516-24, July.
- Doti, James L & Sharir, Shumel, 1981. "Households' Grocery Shopping Behavior in the Short-Run: Theory and Evidence," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 196-208, April.
- Elbert Dijkgraaf & Raymond Gradus, 2004.
"Explaining Sunday shop policies,"
- J Rouwendal & P Rietveld, 1999.
"Prices and Opening Hours in the Retail Sector: Welfare Effects of Restrictions on Opening Hours,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 31(11), pages 2003-2016, November.
- J Rouwendal & P Rietveld, 1999. "Prices and opening hours in the retail sector: welfare effects of restrictions on opening hours," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(11), pages 2003-2016, November.
- Thomas Aronsson & Niklas Karlsson, 1997. "Taxes and Quantity Constraints in a Model of Male Labour Supply in Sweden," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(1), pages 201-221, 04.
- Thum, Marcel & Weichenrieder, Alfons, 1997. "'Dinkies' and Housewives: The Regulation of Shopping Hours," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 539-59.
- Clemenz, Gerhard, 1990. "Non-sequential consumer search and the consequences of a deregulation of trading hours," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1323-1337, November.
- Kan, Kamhon & Fu, Tsu-Tan, 1997. "Analysis Of Housewives' Grocery Shopping Behavior In Taiwan: An Application Of The Poisson Switching Regression," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Ferris, J Stephen, 1990.
"Time, Space, and Shopping: The Regulation of Shopping Hours,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 171-87, Spring.
- Stephen J. Ferris, 1988. "Time, Space And Shopping: The Regulation Of Shopping Hours," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 88-06, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Kerkhofs & Peter Kooreman, 2003. "Identification and estimation of a class of household production models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 337-369.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & O'Leary, Nigel C, 1995. "Modelling Domestic Work Time," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 265-79, August.
- Morrison, Steven A & Newman, Robert J, 1983. "Hours of Operation Restrictions and Competition among Retail Firms," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 107-14, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.