Capital Flows, Cross-Border Banking and Global Liquidity
We investigate global factors associated with cross-border capital flows. We formulate a model of gross capital flows through the international banking system and derive a closed form solution that highlights the leverage cycle of global banks as being a prime determinant of the transmission of financial conditions across borders. We then test the predictions of our model in a panel study of 46 countries and find that global factors dominate local factors as determinants of banking sector capital flows.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2011. "Global imbalances and the financial crisis: Link or no link?," BIS Working Papers 346, Bank for International Settlements.
- Neeltje van Horen & Stijn Claessens, 2012.
"Foreign Banks; Trends, Impact and Financial Stability,"
IMF Working Papers
12/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2011. "Foreign Banks: Trends, Impact and Financial Stability," DNB Working Papers 330, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Philip R. Lane & Barbara Pels, 2012.
"Current Account Imbalances in Europe,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Valentina Bruno & Hyun Song Shin, 2012.
"Capital Flows and the Risk-Taking Channel of Monetary Policy,"
BIS Working Papers
400, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bruno, Valentina & Shin, Hyun Song, 2015. "Capital flows and the risk-taking channel of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 119-132.
- Valentina Bruno & Hyun Song Shin, 2013. "Capital Flows and the Risk-Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working Papers 1469, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Valentina Bruno & Hyun Song Shin, 2013. "Capital Flows and the Risk-Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 18942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2011. "Procyclicality and Monetary Aggregates," NBER Working Papers 16836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2012. "Endogenous Leverage in a Binomial Economy: The Irrelevance of Actual Default," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1877, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joon-Ho Hahm & Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2012.
"Non-Core Bank Liabilities and Financial Vulnerability,"
NBER Working Papers
18428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joon‐Ho Hahm & Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2013. "Noncore Bank Liabilities and Financial Vulnerability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45, pages 3-36, 08.
- Hau, Harald & Rey, Hélène, 2008.
"Global Portfolio Rebalancing Under the Microscope,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.