Current Account Imbalances in Europe
The European crisis is partly attributable to the sharp increase in external imbal- ances across Europe during the pre-crisis period. We examine current account imbal- ances in Europe over 1995-2007, together with the underlying saving and investment rates (and their subcomponents). We O?nd that the discrete expansion in current ac- count imbalances during the 2002-2007 period can be attributed to a strengthening in the link between growth forecasts and current account balances. A striking pattern was that greater optimism about future growth was associated with lower savings and higher construction investment, rather than investment in productive capital.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 00 353 1 896 3888
Fax: 00 353 1 896 3939
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2011.
"External Adjustment and the Global Crisis,"
in: Global Financial Crisis
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Philip Lane, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp369, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8546, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi Ferretti, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," NBER Working Papers 17352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/197, International Monetary Fund.
- José M. Campa & Ángel Gavilán, 2006.
"Current accounts in the euro area: An intertemporal approach,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0638, Banco de Espa�a.
- Campa, Jose M. & Gavilán, Angel, 2006. "Current accounts in the euro area: An intertemporal approach," IESE Research Papers D/651, IESE Business School.
- Michele Ca' Zorzi & Michał Rubaszek, 2012.
"On the Empirical Evidence of the Intertemporal Current Account Model for the Euro Area Countries,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 95-106, 02.
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Rubaszek, Michał, 2008. "On the empirical evidence of the intertemporal current account model for the euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0895, European Central Bank.
- JÃ¶rg Decressin & Emil Stavrev, 2009. "Current Accounts in a Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane, 2008. "The Macroeconomics of Financial Integration: A European Perspective," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp265, IIIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iis:dispap:iiisdp397. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.