“Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors
The characteriscs of recent capital inflows to Latin America are discussed. It is argued that these inflows are partially explained by economic conditions outside the region, like the recession in the United States and lower international interest rstes. The importance of external factors suggests that a reeversal in those condiitons may lead to a future capital outflow, increasing the macroeconomic vulnerability on Latin American economies. Policy options, it is argued, are limited.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in ” IMF Staff Papers 1.40(1993): pp. 108-151|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1989.
"New Indexes of Coincident and Leading Economic Indicators,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 351-409
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, J.H. & Watson, M.W., 1989. "New Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Economic Indicators," Papers 178d, Harvard - J.F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Alexander K. Swoboda & Jacob A. Frenkel & Jacques R. Artus, 1983. "Exchange Rate Regimes and European-U.S. Policy Interdependence [with Comments] (RÃ©gimes de taux de change et interdÃ©pendance des politiques Ã©conomiques en Europe et aux Etats-Unis) (RÃ©gimen cambia," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 75-112, March.
- Carlos F. Diaz-Alejandro, 1984. "Latin American Debt: I Don't Think We Are in Kansas Anymore," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(2), pages 335-403.
- Mohamed A. El-Erian, 1992. "Restoration of Access to Voluntary Capital Market Financing: The Recent Latin American Experience," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 175-194, March.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986.
"Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986. "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation," NBER Working Papers 1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1989. "A Traditional Interpretation of Macroeconomic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1146-64, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Symposium on Bubbles," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 13-18, Spring.
- Watson, Mark W. & Engle, Robert F., 1983. "Alternative algorithms for the estimation of dynamic factor, mimic and varying coefficient regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-400, December.
- D. F. I. Folkerts-Landau & Donald J. Mathieson & Morris Goldstein & Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez & JosÃ© SaÃºl Lizondo & Timothy D. Lane, 1991. "Determinants and Systemic Consequences of International Capital Flows," IMF Occasional Papers 77, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1983. "Trying to Stabilize: Some Theoretical Reflections Based on the Case of Argentina," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 199-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald J. Mathieson & Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez, 1992.
"Liberalization of the Capital Account: Experiences and Issues,"
IMF Working Papers
92/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez & Donald J. Mathieson, 1993. "Liberalization of the Capital Account: Experiences and Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 103, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1991. "Exchange rate stabilization under imperfect credibility," MPRA Paper 20486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.