Financial openness, disclosure and bank risk-taking in MENA countries
In this paper, we analyze the risk-taking behavior of banks in emerging economies in a context of international capital mobility. Our paper highlights a new channel through which depositors can exercise pressure to control risk taking. Depositors can reallocate their savings away from their home country to the more protective system of a developed economy. We recover a classical result according to which increased competition resulting from more international financial openness induces banks to take excessive risks. We find however that sufficiently high financial openness is necessary for a positive link between financial transparency and safe risk management. Finally, we test the relationship between disclosure, financial openness and bank risk-taking for a panel of 258 banks from the MENA region and Turkey.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 162a avenue de la Faïencerie, L-1511 Luxembourg|
Phone: (+352) 46 66 44
Fax: (+352) 46 66 44 ext 633
Web page: http://wwwen.uni.lu/research/fdef/crea
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thankom Gopinath Arun & John Turner, 2009.
"Corporate Governance of Banks in Developing Economies: Concepts and Issues,"
Chapters,in: Corporate Governance and Development, chapter 7
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- T. G. Arun & J. D. Turner, 2004. "Corporate Governance of Banks in Developing Economies: concepts and issues," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 371-377, 07.
- Arun, Thankom G. & Turner, John David, 2003. "Corporate Governance of Banks in Developing Economies: Concepts and Issues," Development Economics and Public Policy Working Papers 30551, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Anzoategui Diego & Martinez Peria Maria S. & Rocha Roberto R, 2010. "Bank Competition in the Middle East and Northern Africa Region," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 26-48, November.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Rocha,Roberto, 2010. "Bank competition in the Middle East and northern Africa region," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5363, The World Bank.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 2000. "Forcing Firms to Talk: Financial Disclosure Regulation and Externalities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 479-519.
- Angkinand, Apanard & Wihlborg, Clas, 2010. "Deposit insurance coverage, ownership, and banks' risk-taking in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 252-274, March.
- Almounsor Abdullah, 2008. "Capital Flight Accounting and Welfare Implications in the MENA Region," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-67, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)