Mass Media Effects on Non-Governmental Organizations
Globalization has raised concerns that multinational companies develop commercial activities at the expense of the environment or human rights, especially in developing countries. This paper studies the communications strategies and the effectiveness of nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in their monitoring of multinational firms’ practices. We make use of large media shocks, generated by big sports events, that decrease media coverage of firms’ practices in event host countries, and increase coverage of firms that sponsor these events. We find NGOs to respond consistently to this change in media coverage. Specifically, NGOs are more likely to disseminate information about firms sponsoring sports events, and are less likely to bring attention to firms operating in the countries hosting the events. We also find that NGOs take advantage of big sports events to increase their impact on sponsoring firms, since bad reports from NGOs about sponsors trigger a stronger negative reaction in the stock market.
|Length:||20 pages + appendix (total 33 pages)|
|Date of creation:||Sep 2015|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne|
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.20
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Matthew A. Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2004.
"Media, Education and Anti-Americanism in the Muslim World,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 117-133, Summer.
- Matthew A. Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2004. "Media, Education, and anti-Americanism in the Muslim World," Microeconomics 0402005, EconWPA.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2009.
"The Olympic Effect,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
NBER Working Papers
9295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "Media Bias," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1981, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Timothy Besley & Andrea Prat, 2005.
"Handcuffs for the Grabbing Hand? Media Capture and Government Accountability,"
STICERD - Political Economy and Public Policy Paper Series
07, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Timothy Besley & Andrea Prat, 2006. "Handcuffs for the Grabbing Hand? Media Capture and Government Accountability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 720-736, June.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Prat, Andrea, 2002. "Handcuffs for the Grabbing Hand? Media Capture and Government Accountability," CEPR Discussion Papers 3132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James M. Snyder, Jr. & David Strömberg, 2008.
"Press Coverage and Political Accountability,"
NBER Working Papers
13878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2011.
"The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 2980-3018, December.
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2009. "The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics," NBER Working Papers 15544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Omer Bayar & Georg Schaur, 2014. "The Impact of Visibility on Trade: Evidence from the World Cup," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 759-782, 09.
- Lisa M. George & Joel Waldfogel, 2006. "The New York Times and the Market for Local Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 435-447, March.
- Aldashev, Gani, 2010.
"Political Information Acquisition for Social Exchange,"
Quarterly Journal of Political Science,
now publishers, vol. 5(1), pages 1-25, April.
- ALDASHEV, Gani, 2006. "Political information acquisition for social exchange," CORE Discussion Papers 2006020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Matthew Gentzkow, 2006. "Television and Voter Turnout," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(3), pages 931-972.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lau:crdeep:13.01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaëlle Sarda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.