The Demand for High-Skilled Workers and Immigration Policy
This paper provides a descriptive analysis of the demand for high-skilled workers using a new firm data set, the IZA International Employer Survey 2000. Our results suggest that while workers from EU-countries are mainly complements to domestic high-skilled workers, workers from non-EU countries are hired because of a shortage of high-skilled labour. The paper, furthermore, provides a short description of recent German policy initiatives regarding the temporary immigration of high-skilled labour. In view of our descriptive results these temporary immigration policies seem, however, to satisfy only partly the demand of firms interested in recruiting foreign high-skilled workers. A more comprehensive immigration policy covering also the permanent immigration of high-skilled workers appears to be necessary.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Brussels Economic Review / Cahiers Economique de Bruxelles, 2004, 47 (1), 1-19|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Kunze, Astrid & Locher, Lilo & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2001. "Report No. 4: Die Nachfrage nach internationalen hochqualifizierten Beschäftigten," IZA Research Reports 4, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John P Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt & Thomas Bauer, 2004. "International Labor Migration, Economic Growth and Labor Markets – The Current State of Affairs," RWI Discussion Papers 0020, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Gil S. Epstein & Astrid Kunze & Melanie E. Ward, 2009.
"High-Skilled Migration And The Exertion Of Effort By The Local Population,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(3), pages 332-352, 07.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2002. "High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population," IZA Discussion Papers 540, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Epstein, Gil S & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2002. "High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population," CEPR Discussion Papers 3477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Lofstrom, Magnus & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2000. "Immigration Policy, Assimilation of Immigrants and Natives' Sentiments towards Immigrants: Evidence from 12 OECD-Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.