Recruiting abroad: the role of foreign affinity and labour market scarcity
"I study the recruiting behaviour of German establishments with regard to the use of foreign labour markets. Applying instrumental variable strategies, I find foreign affinity and labour market scarcity to stimulate the use of foreign markets. Regional labour market scarcity is particularly relevant to small firms, and the effect of foreign affinity is largely driven by the share of foreigners in leading positions in large establishments. The results indicate that shortages are functional and foster the use of foreign labour markets, but the large effect of foreign affinity also reveals that the potential of immigrant workers is used selectively." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||14 Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annekatrin Niebuhr & Silvia Stiller, 2004.
"Integration and Labour Markets in European Border regions,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p29, European Regional Science Association.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2006. "Integration and labour markets in European border regions," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 39(1), pages 57-76.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2004. "Integration and Labour Markets in European Border Regions," HWWA Discussion Papers 284, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Laura Giuliano & David I. Levine & Jonathan Leonard, 2009.
"Manager Race and the Race of New Hires,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 589-631, October.
- Giuliano, Laura & Levine, David I. & Leonard, Jonathan, 2006. "Manager Race and the Race of New Hires," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt2cb2q1h1, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Laura Giuliano & David I. Levine & Jonathon Leonard, 2006. "Manager Race and the Race of New Hires," Working Papers 0722, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Kunze, Astrid, 2004.
"The Demand for High-Skilled Workers and Immigration Policy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
999, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas K. Bauer & Astrid Kunze, 2004. "The demand for high-skilled workers and immigration policy," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 47(1), pages 77-88.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Kunze, Astrid, 2003. "The Demand for High-skilled Worker and Immigration Policy," RWI Discussion Papers 11, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI).
- Bauer, Thomas & Kunze, Astrid, 2004. "The Demand for High-Skilled Workers and Immigration Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4274, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Epstein, Gil S & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2002.
"High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gil S. Epstein & Astrid Kunze & Melanie E. Ward, 2009. "High-Skilled Migration And The Exertion Of Effort By The Local Population," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(3), pages 332-352, 07.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2002. "High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population," IZA Discussion Papers 540, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Winkelmann, Rainer, 2001.
"Why Do Firms Recruit Internationally? Results from the IZA International Employer Survey 2000,"
IZA Discussion Papers
331, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2002. "Why do firms recruit internationally? Result from the IZA International Employer Survey 2000," SOI - Working Papers 0202, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Sanne Hiller, 2013. "Does immigrant employment matter for export sales? Evidence from Denmark," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(2), pages 369-394, June.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:116:y:2001:i:1:p:313-350 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burkert, Carola & Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Wapler, Rüdiger, 2007. "Regional disparities in employment of high-skilled foreigners: Determinants and options for migration policy in Germany," HWWI Research Papers 3-7, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.