The ReLOC project : method report for implementing a cross-border company survey in Germany and the Czech Republic
"Economic integration typically goes along with a disintegration of production through outsourcing and offshoring. The consequences of foreign direct investments (FDI) especially for the labour market are an issue of ongoing debate. The countries of origin fear job losses. However, a range of models and studies show that the productivity gains lead to job growth at the domestic plants. Therefore, the direction of the consolidated effect is an open research question. Further topics discussed concern the impact on different qualification groups, their wage levels, job volatility and task structures in companies both in the country of origin and in the target country. The discussion is even more eager where high-wage countries share a common border with low-wage countries. So far, linked international firm-level data to study these effects on both sides of a border are missing. The IAB in cooperation with Czech research partners constructs a cross-border data set by conducting an empirical research project on the interface between old and new EU member states. It focuses on German direct investment in the Czech Republic and is conceived as a data collection by a large number of face-to- face interviews. The survey covers both countries entirely and involves the German parent companies and their Czech subsidiaries as the two treatment groups, complemented by Czech firms in purely Czech ownership and German companies with no FDI at all. For the four groups specific questionnaires were developed which are closely interlinked and allow comparative analyses, but do not neglect differences of neither the characteristics of the two survey groups nor the national (labour market) particularities. The method report presents the questions which arose through a cross-border company survey and the solutions found. The process of the implementation is described, focussing on the creation of the database as well as on the questionnaire development." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||24 Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra, "undated".
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Becker Sascha O & Muendler Marc-Andreas, 2008. "The Effect of FDI on Job Security," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, April.
- Yama Temouri & Nigel L. Driffield, 2009. "Does German foreign direct investment lead to job losses at home?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(3), pages 243-263.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001.
"The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Fazia Pusterla & Laura Resmini, 2005. "Where do foreign firms locate in transition Countries? An empirical investigation," ISLA Working Papers 20, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Sep 2005.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2005. "Basar-Ökonomie Deutschland - Exportweltmeister oder Schusslicht?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 58(06), pages 03-42, 03.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2004.
"Integration and Labour Markets in European Border Regions,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
284, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2006. "Integration and labour markets in European border regions," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 39(1), pages 57-76.
- Annekatrin Niebuhr & Silvia Stiller, 2004. "Integration and Labour Markets in European Border regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p29, European Regional Science Association.
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Pflüger Michael & Blien Uwe & Moritz Michael & Möller Joachim, 2013.
"Labor Market Effects of Trade and FDI – Recent Advances and Research Gaps,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 233(1), pages 86-116, February.
- Pflüger, Michael P. & Blien, Uwe & Möller, Joachim & Moritz, Michael, 2010. "Labor Market Effects of Trade and FDI: Recent Advances and Research Gaps," IZA Discussion Papers 5385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabfob:201304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.