Labor Market Effects of Trade and FDI: Recent Advances and Research Gaps
This paper pursues three aims. First, we provide a review of current theoretical advances which pertain to the relationship between trade, FDI and labor markets. We do so under the following (not mutually exclusive) headings: (1) slicing-up the value added chain and the turn to a task-based approach, (2) firm heterogeneity and labor markets, (3) complex offshoring (integration) and sourcing strategies and (4) location of firms and labor markets. Second, we overview existing empirical work covering the labor market effects of trade and FDI. Finally, we identify and summarize the existing research gaps and thereby we highlight promising avenues for future research.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Thiess Büttner & Johannes Rincke, 2004.
"Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration - The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1179, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thiess Buettner & Johannes Rincke, 2007. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration: The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 536-560, November.
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004.
"Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 853-875, 06.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Matthieu CROZET & Pamina KOENIG, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 04.02, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Brülhart, Marius & Koenig, Pamina, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery : The Impact of Changing Market Potential," HWWA Discussion Papers 270, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Kamil Galušèák & Daniel Münich, 2005. "Regional Wage Adjustments and Unemployment: Estimating the Time-Varying Wage Curve (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(1-2), pages 68-82, January.
- Munich, Daniel & Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine, 2005. "Is women's human capital valued more by markets than by planners?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 278-299, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5385. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.