Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential
We study the impact of changing relative market access in an enlarged EU on the economies of incumbent Objective 1 regions. First, we track the impact of external opening on internal spatial configurations in a three-region economic geography model. External opening gives rise to potentially offsetting economic forces, but for most parameter configurations it is found to raise the locational attractiveness of the region that is close to the external market. Then, we explore the relation between market access and economic activity empirically, using data for European regions, and we simulate the impact of EU enlargement on Objective 1 regions. Our predicted market-access induced gains in regional GDP and manufacturing employment are up to seven times larger in regions proximate to the new accession countries than in “interior” EU regions. We also find that a future Balkans enlargement could be particularly effective in reducing economic inequalities among the EU periphery, due to the positive impact on relative market access of Greek regions.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in The World Economy, blackwell publishing, 2004, 27 (6), pp.853-875|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00096285|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rikard Forslid & Jan I. Haaland & Karen Helene M. Knarvik & Ottar Maestad, 2002. "Integration and transition: Scenarios for the location of production and trade in Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Brulhart, Marius & Traeger, Rolf, 2005.
"An account of geographic concentration patterns in Europe,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 597-624, November.
- Brülhart, Marius & Traeger, Rolf, 2003. "An Account of Geographic Concentration Patterns in Europe," HWWA Discussion Papers 226, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Marius Brülhart & Rolf Traeger, 2003. "An Account of Geographic Concentration Patterns in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa03p473, European Regional Science Association.
- Marius Brülhart, & Rolf Traeger, 2003. "An Account of Geographic Concentration Patterns in Europe," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp02, IIIS.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Rolf TRAEGER, 2003. "An Account of Geographic Concentration Patterns in Europe," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 03.06, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Ricahrd E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996. "Trade policy and the Third World metropolis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992. "Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis," NBER Working Papers 4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rikard Forslid & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2003. "An analytically solvable core-periphery model," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 229-240, July.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig-Soubeyran, 2004. "Trade liberalization and the internal geography of countries," Chapters,in: Multinational Firms’ Location and the New Economic Geography, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig-Soubeyran, 2002. "Trade Liberalization and the Internal Geography of Countries," Working Papers 2002-37, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Elisenda Paluzie Hernandez, 1999. "Trade policy and regional inequalities," Working Papers in Economics 48, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Paluzie i Hernandez, Elisenda, 1999. "Trade policy and regional inequalities," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa231, European Regional Science Association.
- Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I. & Knarvik, K.H.M. & Maestad, O., 1999. "Integration and Transition: Scenarios for Location of Production and Trade in Europe," Papers 13/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-499, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1990. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," NBER Working Papers 3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Louis Mucchielli & Thierry Mayer (ed.), 2004. "Multinational Firms’ Location and the New Economic Geography," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3311, July.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigné, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2003. "Inter-regional and International Trade: Seventy Years After Ohlin," CEPR Discussion Papers 4065, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pfluger, Michael, 2004. "A simple, analytically solvable, Chamberlinian agglomeration model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 565-573, September.
- Kohler, Wilhelm, 2004. "Eastern enlargement of the EU: a comprehensive welfare assessment," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 865-888, October.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 2000. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 286-306, September.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 1998. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Kohler, Wilhelm K., 2004. "Eastern Enlargement of the EU : A Comprehensive Welfare Assessment," HWWA Discussion Papers 260, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2003. "Market Potential and Regional Disparities in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa03p178, European Regional Science Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00096285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.