EU Enlargement and the Internal Geography of Countries
This paper focuses on the relation between trade openness and the location of economicactivity in a country. The problematic lies in the context of the EU enlargement process and ofits impact on the location of economic activity inside each of the accessing countries. We develop a new economic geography model based on the original Krugman (1991) model, and show that trade liberalization will foster agglomeration of economic activity in the location that has the lowest-cost access to foreign markets. Our results thus differ from Krugman and Livas's (1996) conclusions. We expect the CEECs' economies to shift economic activity towards EU markets. We provide empirical evidence of this result focusing on the post-1991 Romanian urban system.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, 2004, 32 (2), pp.265-279|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00096821|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Vernon Henderson, 1996. "Ways to Think about Urban Concentration: Neoclassical Urban Systems versus the New Economic Geography," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 19(1-2), pages 31-36, April.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2001.
"Large Metropolises in the Third World: An Explanation,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 38(8), pages 1359-1371, July.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2000. "Large metropolises in the Third World: an explanation," Working Papers 0004, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," Working Paper Series 430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 2000.
"Regional Convergence and International Integration,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 286-306, September.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 1998. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2000. "Spatial Distribution of Production and Education," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0008, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig-Soubeyran, 2004.
"Trade liberalization and the internal geography of countries,"
in: Multinational Firmsâ€™ Location and the New Economic Geography, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig-Soubeyran, 2002. "Trade Liberalization and the Internal Geography of Countries," Working Papers 2002-37, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1995. "Trade and Circuses: Explaining Urban Giants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 195-227.
- Mathilde Maurel & Guillaume Cheikbossian, 8/02.
"The new geography of eastern european trade,"
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:430 is not listed on IDEAS
- Villar, Olga Alonso, 1999. "Spatial distribution of production and international trade: a note," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 371-380, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00096821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.