Behind the Eastern-Western European convergence path: the role of geography and trade liberalization
This paper proposes a 2-country 3-region economic geography model that can account for the most salient stylized facts experienced by Eastern European transition economies during the period 1990-2005. In contrast to the existing literature, which has favored technological explanations, trade liberalization is the only driving force. The model correctly predicts that in the first half of the period trade liberalization led to divergence in GDP per capita, both between the West and the East and within the East. Consistent with the data, in the second half of the period, this process was reversed and convergence became the dominant force.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tito Boeri & Herbert Brücker, 2005. "Why are Europeans so tough on migrants?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 629-703, October.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1996. "Increasing returns, migrations and convergence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 121-136, April.
- Blanchard, Olivier, 1996. "Theoretical Aspects of Transition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 117-22, May.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Brülhart, Marius & Koenig, Pamina, 2004.
"Enlargement and the EU Periphery : The Impact of Changing Market Potential,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
270, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 853-875, 06.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Matthieu CROZET & Pamina KOENIG, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 04.02, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096285, HAL.
- Bernard G. Funck & Lodovico Pizzati, 2003. "European Integration, Regional Policy, and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15144.
- Takanori Ago & Ikumo Isono & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2006. "Locational disadvantage of the hub," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 819-848, December.
- Nauro F. Campos & Abrizio Coricelli, 2002.
"Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-836, September.
- Campos, Nauro F & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What we Know, What we Don't and What we Should," CEPR Discussion Papers 3246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 470, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004.
"EU Enlargement and the Internal Geography of Countries,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Crozet, Matthieu & Koenig Soubeyran, Pamina, 2004. "EU enlargement and the internal geography of countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 265-279, June.
- Rikard Forslid & Jan I. Haaland & Karen Helene M. Knarvik & Ottar Maestad, 2002. "Integration and transition: Scenarios for the location of production and trade in Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl Gaigné & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Jacques-François Thisse, 2006.
"Is remoteness a locational disadvantage?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 347-368, June.
- Puga, Diego, 1999.
"The rise and fall of regional inequalities,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 303-334, February.
- Diego Puga, 1996. "The Rise and Fall of Regional Inequalities," CEP Discussion Papers dp0314, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Diego Puga, 1996. "The rise and fall of regional inequalities," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20643, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Puga, Diego, 1997. "The Rise and Fall of Regional Inequalities," CEPR Discussion Papers 1575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992.
"Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis,"
NBER Working Papers
4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 2000.
"Regional Convergence and International Integration,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 286-306, September.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 1998. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Tondl, Gabriele & Vuksic, Goran, 2003. "What makes regions in Eastern Europe catching up? The role of foreign investment, human resources and geography," ZEI Working Papers B 12-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Ali Mansoor & Bryce Quillin, 2007. "Migration and Remittances : Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6920.
- Maarten Bosker & Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Marc Schramm, 2010. "Adding geography to the new economic geography: bridging the gap between theory and empirics," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 793-823, November.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2000. "Spatial Distribution of Production and Education," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0008, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.