Regional Wage Adjustments and Unemployment: Estimating the Time-Varying Wage Curve (in English)
This paper investigates the flexibility of real wages at the regional level by estimating the wage curve, the relationship between regional unemployment, and the regional level of wages. For this purpose the authors use a sample of annual district-level unemployment and wage data in the Czech Republic from 1993 to 2001. Previous estimates of the wage curve for the Czech Republic suggested that the regional flexibility of real wages is extraordinarily low. Taking into account the endogeneity of unemployment, the authors' results indicate that regional real wages are flexible at the level observed in most developed and developing economies. The temporary deterioration in the regional flexibility observed during the 1997-99 Czech recession is explained by the standard efficiency wage model. Some indication of weakening elasticity since the end of the 1990s is probably associated with the sharp rise in the incidence of long-term unemployment. As this trend is expected to continue, it could further attenuate the elasticity and complicate adjustment processes if adverse shocks appear in the future, particularly after the Czech Republic's anticipated entry into the European Monetary Union.
Volume (Year): 55 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1996. "Wage curve, unemployment duration and compensating differentials," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 425-434, December.
- Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer, 2001. "Earnings, unemployment, and housing in Britain," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 203-220.
- Bell, Brian & Nickell, Stephen & Quintini, Glenda, 2002.
"Wage equations, wage curves and all that,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 341-360, July.
- B Bell & Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2000. "Wage Equations, Wage Curves and All That," CEP Discussion Papers dp0472, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bell, Brian & Nickell, Stephen & Quintini, Glenda, 2000. "Wage equations, wage curves and all that," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20165, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:55:y:2005:i:1-2:p:68-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.