Wage equations, wage curves and all that
This paper is concerned with the relationship between wages and unemployment. Using UK regions and individuals as the basis for our analysis, the following questions are investigated. First, is the wage equation a relationship between unemployment and wages or wage changes? Second, can we identify the relationship completely by looking at regional wages and regional unemployment or do regional wages depend on aggregate unemployment as well? Third, are wages influenced only by the current state of the labour market or do contracts lead to wages depending on labour market conditions in the last boom or upon entry into the job? Finally is the wage-unemployment relationship influenced by inflation, competition or the housing market?
|Date of creation:||Sep 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996.
"What We Know and Do Not Know About the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
5822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 51-72, Winter.
- Blanchard, O & Katz, L, 1996. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Working papers 96-29, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Marek Dabrowski & Stanislaw Gomulka & Jacek Rostowski, 2000.
"Whence reform? A critique of the Stiglitz perspective,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marek Dabrowski & Stanislaw Gomulka & Jacek Rostowski, 2001. "Whence reform? A critique of the stiglitz perspective," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 291-324.
- M Dabrowski & Stanislaw Gomulka & J Rostowski, 2000. "Whence Reform? A Critique of the Stiglitz Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0471, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Marianne Bertrand, 1998. "From the Invisible Handshake to the Invisible Hand? How Import Competition Changes the Employment Relationship," Working Papers 789, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Baker, George & Gibbs, Michael & Holmstrom, Bengt, 1994. "The Internal Economics of the Firm: Evidence from Personnel Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 881-919, November.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Olivier Blanchard, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 69-74, May.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata, 2000.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0448, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Baker, George & Gibbs, Michael & Holmstrom, Bengt, 1994. "The Wage Policy of a Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 921-55, November.
- Richard Jackman & S Savouri, 1991. "Regional Wage Determination in Great Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0047, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:20165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.