The wage curve revisited: estimates from a UK panel
Panel data from the United Kingdom are used to estimate a wage curve that allows simultaneously for time, individual, and spatial effects and which thus finesses the problem of grouped data bias. Once allowance is made for the multilevel and cross-classified nature of the data, estimates of the unemployment elasticity of the wage are seen to be volatile and imprecise.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1524) 594601
Fax: +44 (1524) 594244
Web page: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005. "The Last Word on the Wage Curve?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 421-450, 07.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Black, Angela J & FitzRoy, Felix R, 2000.
"Earning Curves and Wage Curves,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(5), pages 471-86, November.
- David Card, 1995.
"The Wage Curve: A Review,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2000.
"The East German wage curve 1993-1998,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 25-31, October.
- Jarkko Turunen, 1998. "Disaggregated wage curves in the United States: evidence from panel data of young workers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1665-1677.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003.
"How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 25-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 128, Royal Economic Society.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?," ERSA conference papers ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Olivier Blanchard, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 69-74, May.
- Montuenga, Victor & Garcia, Inmaculada & Fernandez, Melchor, 2003. "Wage flexibility: evidence from five EU countries based on the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 169-174, February.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
NBER Working Papers
11338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B Bell & Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2000.
"Wage Equations, Wage Curves and All That,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0472, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Zhongmin Wu, 2004. "Wage curve for urban China: a panel data approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(7), pages 425-428.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Pannenberg, Markus & Schwarze, Johannes, 1998. "Labor market slack and the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 351-354, March.
- Inmaculada Garcia-Mainar & Victor Montuenga-Gomez, 2003. "The Spanish Wage Curve: 1994-1996," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 929-945.
- Lutz Bellmann & Uwe Blien, 2001. "Wage curve analyses of establishment data from western Germany," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 851-863, July.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Turunen, Jarkko, 1996. "Wage curve evidence from panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-353, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lan:wpaper:573979. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Zanardi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.