New evidence on the dynamic wage curve for Western Germany: 1980-2004
Blanchflower and Oswald [Blanchflower, David G. and Oswald, Andrew J., 1994a, The Wage Curve, (Cambridge, MA, MIT Press), Blanchflower, David G. and Oswald, Andrew J., 1994b, Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain 1973-90, The Economic Journal 104, 1025-1043. Eine praktische Einführung, Nürnberg] reported that they have found an 'empirical law of economics' -- the Wage Curve. Our paper reconsiders the western German Wage Curve using disaggregated regional data and is based on almost one million employees drawn from the Federal Employment Services of Germany over the period 1980-2004. We find that the wage equation is highly autoregressive but far from unit root. The unemployment elasticity is significant but relatively small: only between -Â 0.02 and -Â 0.04. We also check the sensitivity of this elasticity for different population groups (young versus old, men versus women, less educated versus highly educated, German native versus foreigner), confirming that it is stronger the weaker the bargaining power of the particular group.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian Bell & Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2000.
"Wage equations, wage curves and all that,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20165, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ammermüller, Andreas & Lucifora, Claudio & Origo, Federica & Zwick, Thomas, 2007.
"Still searching for the wage curve: evidence from Germany and Italy,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-008, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ammermüller, Andreas & Lucifora, Claudio & Origo, Federica & Zwick, Thomas, 2007. "Still Searching for the Wage Curve: Evidence from Germany and Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 2674, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Víctor M. Montuenga-Gómez & José M. Ramos-Parreño, 2005. "Reconciling the Wage Curve and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 735-765, December.
- Thiess Buettner, 1999. "The effect of unemployment, aggregate wages, and spatial contiguity on local wages: An investigation with German district level data," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 78(1), pages 47-67.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996.
"What We Know and Do Not Know About the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
5822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 51-72, Winter.
- Blanchard, O & Katz, L, 1996. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Working papers 96-29, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- André Sapir, 1995. "Introduction," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(6), pages 741-744, November.
- Lutz Bellmann & Uwe Blien, 2001. "Wage Curve Analyses of Establishment Data from Western Germany," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 851-863, July.
- Markus Pannenberg & Johannes Schwarze, 2000. "Wage Dynamics and Unemployment in Germany: Evidence from Regional Panel Data," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(4), pages 645-655, December.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
NBER Working Papers
11338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain: 1973-90," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1025-43, September.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "An Introduction to the Wage Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 153-167, Summer.
- repec:fth:prinin:343 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:indrel:343 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1999. "Macroeconomic Performance and Collective Bargaining: An International Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1150-1175, September.
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Working Papers 722, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:16:y:2009:i:1:p:47-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.