The Brazilian Wage Curve: New Evidence from the National Household Survey
This paper reconsiders the Brazilian wage curve using individual data from the National Household Survey at 27 Federative Units over the period 2002 - 2009. We find evidence in favor of the Brazilian wage curve with an unemployment elasticity of -0.08 when the lagged unemployment rate is used as an instrument for current unemployment rate. We also find that males in Brazil are significantly more responsive to local unemployment rates (-0.13) than their female counterparts. In fact, we find that the unemployment elasticity for women is statistically insignificant. Applying gender specific unemployment rates, the elasticity for men decreases to -0.09, while the elasticity for women remains statistically insignificant. This paper also finds that the estimates for Brazilian wage curve are completely different for the case of formal and informal workers.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konyalı, Gonca, 2012. "Wage Curve Evidence From Turkey’s 2007-2009 Income and Living Conditions Survey," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 24, pages 199-210.
- Bertrand, Marianne, 2011. "New Perspectives on Gender," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Timur Hulagu, 2013.
"How different are the wage curves for formal and informal workers? Evidence from Turkey,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 271-283, June.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Timur Hulagu, 2012. "How Different are the Wage Curves for Formal and Informal Workers? Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 1216, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Baskaya, Yusuf Soner & Hulagu, Timur, 2012. "How Different Are the Wage Curves for Formal and Informal Workers? Evidence from Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 6836, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Badi H. Baltagi & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Timur Hulagu, 2012. "How Different Are the Wage Curves for Formal and Informal Workers? Evidence from Turkey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 145, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Timur Hulagu, 2013. "How Different Are the Wage Curves for Formal and Informal Workers? Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 754, Economic Research Forum, revised May 2013.
- Ramos, Raul & Duque, Juan C. & Surinach, Jordi, 2010.
"Is the wage curve formal or informal? Evidence for Colombia,"
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 63-65, November.
- Raul Ramos & Juan Carlos Duque & Jordi Suriñach, 2009. "Is The Wage Curve Formal Or Informal? Evidence For Colombia," IREA Working Papers 200918, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jul 2009.
- Ramos, Raul & Duque, Juan Carlos & Surinach, Jordi, 2009. "Is the Wage Curve Formal or Informal? Evidence for Colombia," IZA Discussion Papers 4461, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Nataly Obando & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2010.
"Sensibilidad de los salarios al desempleo regional en Colombia: nuevas estimaciones de la curva de salarios,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
006829, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Nataly Obando & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2010. "Sensibilidad de los salarios al desempleo regional en Colombia: nuevas estimaciones de la curva de salarios," Borradores de Economia 590, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Roberto Santolin & Mariângela Furlan Antigo, 2009. "Curvas de salários dinâmicas: um estudo dos determinantes da histerese do desemprego no Brasil," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td368, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 421-450, July.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002. "The Last Word on the Wage Curve?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arthur Simão Pereira Da Silva & Sandro Eduardo Monsueto, 2014. "Flexibilidade Do Mercado De Trabalho: Uma Análise Comparativa Entre Segmentos Socioeconômicos No Brasil(2002-2009)," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 235, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Working Papers 722, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Marisa Carla Bucheli Anaya & Cecilia González Rodríguez-Villamil, 2012. "An estimation of the wage curve for Uruguay," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID, June.
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald, 1995. "International Wage Curves," NBER Chapters,in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 145-174 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "An Introduction to the Wage Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 153-167, Summer.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rokicki, Bartlomiej, 2014. "The spatial Polish wage curve with gender effects: Evidence from the Polish Labor Survey," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 36-47.
- Badi Baltagi & Bartlomiej Rokicki, 2014. "The Spatial Polish Wage Curve with Gender Effects: Evidence from the Polish Labor Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 171, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Souza, Igor Viveiros de & Machado, Ana FlÃ¡via, 2004. "Curva de Rendimentos: uma AnÃ¡lise no Mercado de Trabalho Urbano e Rural no Brasil (1981/ 99)," Brazilian Journal of Rural Economy and Sociology (RESR), Sociedade Brasileira de Economia e Sociologia Rural, vol. 42(1), March.
- Janine Berg & Dante Contreras, 2004. "Political-Economic Regime and the Wage Curve: Evidence from Chile, 1957-96," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 151-165.
- Janine Berg & Dante Contreras, 2002. "Political-Economic Regime and the Wage Curve: Evidence from Chile, 1957-96," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2002-10, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Esteban Sanroma & Raul Ramos, 2005. "Further Evidence on Disaggregated Wage Curves: The Case of Spain," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 8(3), pages 227-243, September.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- repec:fth:prinin:343 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heather Boushey, 2002. "Reworking the Wage Curve: Exploring the consistency of the model across time, space and demographic group," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 293-311.
- Reis, Mauricio Cortez, 2006. "Os Impactos das Mudanças na Demanda por Trabalho Qualificado sobre o Desemprego por Nível de Qualificação durante os Anos Noventa no Brasil," Revista Brasileira de Economia - RBE, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 60(3), February.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.