Curva salarial: una aplicación para el caso de México, 1993-2002
The purpose of this document is to analyze the relation between unemployment and wages in Mexico during the 1993-2002 period, using the methodology of wage curve. The results show a negative relation between the rate of local unemployment and the wages, although its elasticity is inferior to the obtained one in other countries. The classification of the workers by groups establishes that the conditions of local unemployment do not affect the remunerations of workers of the public sector. In addition, there exists different wage elasticity between different groups (sex, disposition of social benefits, age and schooling). The exploration of alternative specifications indicates that wages have a different behavior based on the level from the rate of leisure.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.colmex.mx/centros/cee/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janine Berg & Dante Contreras, 2004.
"Political-Economic Regime and the Wage Curve: Evidence from Chile, 1957-96,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 151-165.
- Janine Berg & Dante Contreras, 2002. "Political-Economic Regime and the Wage Curve: Evidence from Chile, 1957-96," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2002-10, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Jones, Stephen R G, 1989. "Reservation Wages and the Cost of Unemployment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 225-46, May.
- James D. Adams, 1985. "Permanent Differences in Unemployment and Permanent Wage Differentials," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(1), pages 29-56.
- Montuenga, Victor & Garcia, Inmaculada & Fernandez, Melchor, 2003. "Wage flexibility: evidence from five EU countries based on the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 169-174, February.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1988. "Evaluating the European View that the United States Has No Unemployment Problem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 294-99, May.
- Gabor Kertesi & Janos Kollo, 1997. "The Birth of the "Wage Curve" in Hungary, 1989-1995," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 104, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1996. "Wage curve, unemployment duration and compensating differentials," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 425-434, December.
- Albaek, K. & Asplund, R. & Blomskog, S. & Barth, E. & Guomundsson,B.R. & Karlsson, V. & Madsen, E.S., 1999.
"Domensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility without Wage Curves,"
99-24, Carleton - School of Public Administration.
- Karsten Albaek & Rita Asplund & Erling Barth & Stig Blomskog & Bjorn Runar Gudmundsson & Vifill Karlsson & Erik Strojer Madsen, 2000. "Dimensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility Without Wage Curves," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1893, Econometric Society.
- Karsten Albæk & Rita Asplund & Stig Blomskog & Erling Barth & Björn Rúnar Guðmundsson & Vifill Karlsson & Erik Strøjer Madsen, 1999. "Dimensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility without Wage Curves," Discussion Papers 99-24, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1992.
"International Wage Curves,"
NBER Working Papers
4200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 1970. "Why Is the Unemployment Rate So High at Full Employment?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 1(3), pages 369-410.
- Sato, Yasuhiro, 2000. "Search theory and the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 93-98, January.
- Stephen T. Marston, 1985. "Two Views of the Geographic Distribution of Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(1), pages 57-79.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Hoddinott, John, 1996. "Wages and Unemployment in an Urban African Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1610-26, November.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 1999.
"Unemployment and wages in South Africa: a spatial approach,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1999-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Geeta G. Kingdon & John B. Knight, 1999. "Unemployment and wages in South Africa: A spatial approach," CSAE Working Paper Series 1999-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Naylor, Robin A. & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2002. "Explaining Variations in Wage Curves: Theory and Evidence," Memorandum 03/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Janssens, Stefan & Konings, Jozef, 1998. "One more wage curve: the case of Belgium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 223-227, August.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2001. "Unemployment, Well-Being, and Wage Curves in Eastern and Central Europe," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 364-402, December.
- Blackaby, David H & Hunt, Lester C, 1992. "The "Wage Curve" and Long-term Unemployment: A Cautionary Note," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 60(4), pages 419-28, December.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Bill Collier, 2000. "The UK Wage Curve: New Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey," Studies in Economics 0010, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Turunen, Jarkko, 1996. "Wage curve evidence from panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-353, June.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1997. "Has the wage curve nullified the Harris-Todaro model? Further US evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 277-282, July.
- Wagner, Joachim, 1994. "German wage curves, 1979-1990," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 307-311.
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Huitfeldt, H., 2001. "Unemployment, Labour Market Programmes and Wage Determination: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republics," Papers 2001:01, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Blackaby, D H & Manning, D N, 1992. "Regional Earnings and Unemployment--A Simultaneous Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(4), pages 481-501, November.
- Reza, Ali M, 1978. "Geographical Differences in Earnings and Unemployment Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 201-08, May.
- Huitfeldt, Henrik, 2001. "Unemployment, Labour Market Programmes and Wage Determination: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republics," Working Paper Series 2001:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Topel, Robert H, 1986. "Local Labor Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S111-43, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emx:esteco:v:21:y:2006:i:2:p:233-273. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.