The demand for high-skilled workers and immigration policy
This paper provides a descriptive analysis of the demand for high-skilled workers using a new firm data set, the IZA International Employer Survey 2000. Our results suggest that while workers from EU-countries are mainly complements to domestic high-skilled workers, workers from non-EU countries are hired because of a shortage of high-skilled labour. The paper, furthermore, provides a short description of recent German policy initiatives regarding the temporary immigration of high-skilled labour. In view of our descriptive results these temporary immigration policies seem, however, to satisfy only partly the demand of firms interested in recruiting foreign high-skilled workers. A more comprehensive immigration policy covering also the permanent immigration of high-skilled workers appears to be necessary.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winkelmann, Rainer, 2001.
"Why Do Firms Recruit Internationally? Results from the IZA International Employer Survey 2000,"
IZA Discussion Papers
331, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2002. "Why do firms recruit internationally? Result from the IZA International Employer Survey 2000," SOI - Working Papers 0202, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Lofstrom, Magnus & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2000. "Immigration Policy, Assimilation of Immigrants and Natives' Sentiments towards Immigrants: Evidence from 12 OECD-Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Kunze, Astrid & Locher, Lilo & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2001. "Report No. 4: Die Nachfrage nach internationalen hochqualifizierten Beschäftigten," IZA Research Reports 4, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gil S. Epstein & Astrid Kunze & Melanie E. Ward, 2009. "High-Skilled Migration And The Exertion Of Effort By The Local Population," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(3), pages 332-352, 07.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2002. "High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population," IZA Discussion Papers 540, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Epstein, Gil S & Kunze, Astrid & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2002. "High Skilled Migration and the Exertion of Effort by the Local Population," CEPR Discussion Papers 3477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.