Why Do Firms Recruit Internationally? Results from the IZA International Employer Survey 2000
The paper studies the demand for foreign graduates at the firm level. Using a unique dataset on recruitment policies of firms in four European countries, the determinants of demand for internationally mobile high-skilled employees are established. I investigate the number, origin, skills, and functions of foreign graduates, as well as the experiences of firms recruiting internationally. A number of hypotheses for the international demand are formulated and assessed. Foreign highly-skilled employees are recruited mainly because of their special skills, be it international competence or technical know-how, that are not available domestically.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Publication status:||published in: Schmollers Jahrbuch: Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften / Journal of Applied Social Science Studies, 2002, 122 (2), 155-178|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Spencer, 2001. "E-money: Will it Take Off?," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(1), pages 121-136, January.
- Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2003.
"Demographic and Economic Pressure on Emigration out of Africa,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(3), pages 465-486, 09.
- Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2001. "Demographic and Economic Pressure on Emigration Out of Africa," NBER Working Papers 8124, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2001. "Demographic and Economic Pressure on Emigration out of Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 250, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2001. "Product Market Reforms and Unemployment in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 255, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2001. "Learning of General Equilibrium Effects and the Unemployment Trap," IZA Discussion Papers 254, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yemtsov, Ruslan, 2001. "Labor Markets, Inequality and Poverty in Georgia," IZA Discussion Papers 251, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)