Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2010. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201054, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Feb 2010.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2009.
"The difficulties of the Chinese and Indian exchange rate regimes,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 6(1), pages 157-173, June.
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2009. "The difficulties of the Chinese and Indian exchange rate regimes," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22975, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik, 2009. "The Difficulties of the Chinese and Indian Exchange Rate Regimes," Working Papers id:2321, eSocialSciences.
- Gholami, Roghieh & Lee, Sang-Yong Tom & Heshmati, Almas, 2005. "The Causal Relationship between ICT and FDI," WIDER Working Paper Series 026, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1999. " Parametric Approaches to Productivity Measurement: A Comparison among Alternative Models," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(3), pages 405-424, September.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Chen, Jian, 1997. "The Coast-Noncoast Income Gap, Productivity, and Regional Economic Policy in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 220-236, October.
- Borensztein, Eduardo & Ostry, Jonathan D, 1996. "Accounting for China's Growth Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 224-228, May.
- Meng, Qingxuan & Li, Mingzhi, 2002. "New Economy and ICT development in China," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 275-295, June.
- Yuko Arayama & Katsuya Miyoshi, 2004. "Regional Diversity and Sources of Economic Growth in China," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(10), pages 1583-1607, November.
- Liu, Zhiqiang, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and Technology Spillover: Evidence from China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 579-602, September.
- Sudip Ranjan Basu, 2009. "Comparing China and India: Is the dividend of economic reforms polarized?," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 6(1), pages 57-99, June.
- Marcelo Soto, 2000. "Capital Flows and Growth in Developing Countries: Recent Empirical Evidence," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 160, OECD Publishing.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demurger, Sylvie, 2001. "Infrastructure Development and Economic Growth: An Explanation for Regional Disparities in China?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-117, March.
- Yan Wang & Yudong Yao, 2001. "Sources of China's economic growth, 1952-99 : incorporating human capital accumulation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2650, The World Bank.
- G. Karagiannis & P. Midmore & V. Tzouvelekas, 2002.
"Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 23-38, July.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Midmore, Peter & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 1999. "Separating Technical Change From Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency In The Absence Of Distributional Assumptions," Miscellaneous Papers 11842, Agecon Search.
- Paul Schreyer, 2000. "The Contribution of Information and Communication Technology to Output Growth: A Study of the G7 Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/2, OECD Publishing.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2009.
"Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1403-1448.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Discussion Papers 07-006, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J Klenow, 2008. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," 2008 Meeting Papers 121, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter Klenow, 2009. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Working Papers 09-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chang, Tai Hsieh & Peter, J- Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and manufacturing TFP in China and India," MPRA Paper 35084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jun 2007.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," NBER Working Papers 13290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vittorio Valli & Donatella Saccone, 2009.
"Structural Change and Economic Development in China and India,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 6(1), pages 101-129, June.
- Donatella Saccone & Valli Vittorio, 2009. "Structural Change and Economic Development in China and India," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200907, University of Turin.
- Mu, Qing & Lee, Keun, 2005. "Knowledge diffusion, market segmentation and technological catch-up: The case of the telecommunication industry in China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 759-783, August.
- Gao, Ting, 2004. "Regional industrial growth: evidence from Chinese industries," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 101-124, January.
- Sanjeev Dewan & Kenneth L. Kraemer, 2000. "Information Technology and Productivity: Evidence from Country-Level Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 548-562, April.
- Gregory C. Chow, 1993. "Capital Formation and Economic Growth in China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 809-842.
- Lemoine, Francoise & Unal-Kesenci, Deniz, 2004. "Assembly Trade and Technology Transfer: The Case of China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 829-850, May.
- L. Becchetti & David Bedoya & L. Paganetto, 2003.
"ICT Investment, Productivity and Efficiency: Evidence at Firm Level Using a Stochastic Frontier Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 143-167, September.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luigi Paganetto & David Andres Londono Bedoya, 2003. "ICT Investment, Productivity and Efficiency: Evidence at Firm Level Using a Stochastic Frontier Approach," CEIS Research Paper 29, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Chen, Zhuo & Song, Shunfeng, 2008.
"Efficiency and technology gap in China's agriculture: A regional meta-frontier analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 287-296, June.
- Zhuo Chen & Shunfeng Song, 2006. "Efficiency and Technology Gap in China's Agriculture: A Regional META-Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 06-005, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Frank Gollop & Dale Jorgenson, 1980. "U.S. Productivity Growth by Industry, 1947–73," NBER Chapters,in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 15-136 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andreas (Andy) Jobst & Harry X. Wu, 2008. "Measuring Chinaâ€™s Economic Performance," World Economics, World Economics, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 9(2), pages 13-44, April.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Gollop, Frank M & Roberts, Mark J, 1983. "Environmental Regulations and Productivity Growth: The Case of Fossil-Fueled Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 654-674, August.
- Xu, Bin, 2000. "Multinational enterprises, technology diffusion, and host country productivity growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 477-493, August.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2009. "The difficulties of the Chinese and Indian exchange rate regimes," Working Papers 09/62, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Isabelle Bensidoun & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal, 2009. "The integration of China and India into the world economy: a comparison," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 6(1), pages 131-155, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A Generalized Error Component Model with Heteroscedastic Disturbances," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 745-753, November.
- Mody, Ashoka & Wang, Fang-Yi, 1997. "Explaining Industrial Growth in Coastal China: Economic Reforms . . . and What Else?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 293-325, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2014.
"A general model of technical change with an application to the OECD countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 25-48, January.
- Heshmati, Almas & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2011. "A General Model of Technical Change with an Application to the OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 6004, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chen, Qianying & Funke, Michael & Paetz, Michael, 2012.
"Market and non-market monetary policy tools in a calibrated DSGE model for mainland China,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
16/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Michael Funke & Michael Paetz & Qianying Chen,, 2012. "Market and Non-Market Monetary Policy Tools in a Calibrated DSGE Model for Mainland China," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 21207, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
More about this item
Keywordstotal factor productivity growth; technology indicator; technology shifter; technical change; Chinese provinces;
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- O18 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O47 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Empirical Studies of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-03-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-FDG-2010-03-20 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-TRA-2010-03-20 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.