Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions
This paper proposes an alternative model for separating technical change from time-varying technical inefficiency. The proposed formulation uses the general index, developed by Baltagi and Griffin (1988), to model technical change in the production frontier function and a quadratic function of time, as in Cornwell, Schmidt and Sickles (1990), to capture the temporal pattern of technical inefficiency. In such a setting, all parameters associated with the rate of technical change and the temporal pattern of technical inefficiency are identified separately. Moreover, the proposed formulation is independent of any distributional assumption concerning the one-sided error term associated with technical inefficiency, and it can be estimated in a single stage with non-linear FGLS. Empirical results based on a translog production frontier, and estimates of technical inefficiency and technical change are presented for the UK dairy sector over the period 1982–1992. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1996. "Technical efficiency measures for dairy farms using panel data: a comparison of alternative model specifications," MPRA Paper 37703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1996.
"Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(02), August.
- Tim J. Coelli & George E. Battese, 1996. "Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(2), pages 103-128, 08.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1994. "Identification of Factors which Influence the Technical Inefficiency of Indian Farmers," 1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand 148110, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1995.
"An econometric decomposition of dairy output growth,"
37678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Munir Ahmad & Boris E. Bravo-Ureta, 1995. "An Econometric Decomposition of Dairy Output Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(4), pages 914-921.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, june. pag.
- George E. Battese & Sohail J. Malik & Manzoor A. Gill, 1996. "An Investigation Of Technical Inefficiencies Of Production Of Wheat Farmers In Four Districts Of Pakistan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 37-49.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-23, August.
- W, Y, 1995. "Productivity Growth, Technological Progress, and Technical Efficiency Change in China: A Three-Sector Analysis1," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 207-229, October.
- Rigby, Dan & Young, Trevor, 1996. "European Environmental Regulations to Reduce Water Pollution: An Analysis of Their Impact on UK Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 59-78.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2000. "Efficiency, technological change and output growth in Greek olive growing farms: a Box-Cox approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 909-916.
- Son, Tran Vo Hung & Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 1993.
"Analysis of the technical efficiency of state rubber farms in Vietnam,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9, September.
- Vo Hung Son, Tran & Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 1993. "Analysis of the technical efficiency of state rubber farms in Vietnam," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 183-201, September.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. " Decomposing Technical Change with Panel Data: An Application to the Public Sector," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 309-23, June.
- Rafael Cuesta, 2000. "A Production Model With Firm-Specific Temporal Variation in Technical Inefficiency: With Application to Spanish Dairy Farms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 139-158, March.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- S. M. Mukhtar & P. J. Dawson, 1990. "Herd Size And Unit Costs Of Production In The England And Wales Dairy Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 9-20.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1997. "Estimation Of Technical Efficiency In Swedish Crop Farms: A Pseudo Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 22-37.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1997. "Temporal patterns of technical efficiency: Results from competing models," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 597-616, August.
- C. R. Dryburgh & C. J. Doyle, 1995. "Distribution Of Research Gains Under Different Market Structures: The Impact Of Technological Change Within The Uk Dairy Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 80-96.
- Battese, G. E. & Tessema, G. A., 1993. "Estimation of stochastic frontier production functions with time-varying parameters and technical efficiencies using panel data from Indian villages," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Almas Heshmati, 1998. "Efficiency measurement in rotating panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 919-930.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:18:y:2002:i:1:p:23-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.