Regional dependencies in job creation: An efficiency analysis for Western Germany
This paper investigates the efficiency of the matching process between job seekers and vacancy posting firms in West Germany, using variation across labour market regions and across time. The results of a stochastic frontier analysis shed new light on the extent of and regional differences in search frictions, on potential determinants of frictional inefficiencies and on the consequences of German reunification for the matching process. The paper also presents novel evidence on the complex interactions between spatial contingencies among regional labour markets: matching efficiency decreases with spatial autocorrelation in hiring, implying indirect evidence for crowding externalities.
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Economics 10 38(2006): pp. 1193-1206|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Burgess & Stefan Profit, 2001.
"Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0490, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 2001. "Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in ritain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 313-333, June.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 1998. "Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 1854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burgess, Simon M. & Profit, Stefan, 1998. "Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in Britain," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,19, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2007.
"Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy: A Macroeconometric Assessment,"
CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 57-84, 03.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2005. "Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy. A Macroeconometric Assessment," CELPE Discussion Papers 93, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- G. Karagiannis & P. Midmore & V. Tzouvelekas, 2002.
"Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 23-38, July.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Midmore, Peter & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 1999. "Separating Technical Change From Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency In The Absence Of Distributional Assumptions," Miscellaneous Papers 11842, Agecon Search.
- Broersma, L. & van Ours, J.C., 1998.
"Job Searchers, Job Matches and the Elasticity of Matching,"
1998-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Broersma, Lourens & Van Ours, Jan C., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 77-93, March.
- Gross, Dominique M., 1997. "Aggregate job matching and returns to scale in Germany," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 243-248, October.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- René Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2004.
"Occupational job creation: patterns and implications,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(3), pages 407-435, July.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2004. "Occupational job creation: Patterns and implications," Munich Reprints in Economics 20488, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2006. "Labour Market Reform and the Beveridge Curve across Italian Regions," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions, edition 1, chapter 6, pages 147-163 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- van Ours, J.C. & Broersma, L., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Other publications TiSEM c199f354-b73c-49b6-84f6-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Hanna Pesola, 2003. "Regional Labour Market Matching Functions and Efficiency Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(3), pages 413-437, 09.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2002. "Employment Status, Endogenous Regional Mobility, and Spatial Dependencies in Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 521, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- van Ours, J.C. & Gorter, C., 1994. "Matching Unemployment and Vacancies in Regional Labour Markets; an empirical analysis for the Netherlands," Other publications TiSEM 63318c4d-4008-4f29-94eb-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lmu:muenar:20484. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.