Parametric Decomposition Of Output Growth
This paper proposes a tractable approach for analyzing the sources of TFP changes (i.e., technical change, changes in technical and allocative inefficiency, and the scale effect) in a multi-output setting, while retaining the single-equation nature of the econometric procedure used to estimate the parameters of the underlying technology. The proposed approach relies on Bauer’s cost function based decomposition of TFP changes and the duality between input distance and cost functions. The empirical results are based on a sample of 121 UK livestock farms observed over the period 1983-92 and a translog input distance function. It is found that improvements in technical efficiency appear to provide greater potential for enhancing farm returns than that which may be obtained from shifting the production frontier itself. In addition, scale economies and allocative inefficiency are also important sources for TFP changes on UK livestock farms.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, "undated".
"Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers and Decomposition of Output Growth: The Case of Olive Growing Farms in Greece,"
9913, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2001. "Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers And Decomposition Of Output Growth: The Case Of Olive-Growing Farms In Greece," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages -, October.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2000. "Efficiency, technological change and output growth in Greek olive growing farms: a Box-Cox approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 909-916.
- H. Youn Kim, 1997. "Functional Separability and Elasticities of Complementarity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1177-1181.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Midmore, Peter & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 1999.
"Separating Technical Change From Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency In The Absence Of Distributional Assumptions,"
11842, Agecon Search.
- G. Karagiannis & P. Midmore & V. Tzouvelekas, 2002. "Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 23-38, July.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Munir Ahmad & Boris E. Bravo-Ureta, 1995.
"An Econometric Decomposition of Dairy Output Growth,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(4), pages 914-921.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1995. "An econometric decomposition of dairy output growth," MPRA Paper 37678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1990. "A distance function approach to price efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 123-126, October.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. " Decomposing Technical Change with Panel Data: An Application to the Public Sector," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 309-23, June.
- Loren W. Tauer, 1998. "Productivity of New York Dairy Farms Measured by Nonparametric Malmquist Indices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 234-249.
- Schmidt, Peter & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1980. "Estimating stochastic production and cost frontiers when technical and allocative inefficiency are correlated," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 83-100, May.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul & Warren E. Johnston & Gerald A. G. Frengley, 2000. "Efficiency in New Zealand Sheep and Beef Farming: The Impacts of Regulatory Reform," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 325-337, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J., 1995. "Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 277-296, June.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1997. "Temporal patterns of technical efficiency: Results from competing models," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 597-616, August.
- Shawna Grosskopf & Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor & William L. Weber, 1997. "Budget-Constrained Frontier Measures Of Fiscal Equality And Efficiency In Schooling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 116-124, February.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2001.
"Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(2), pages 135-152, 07.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Richard Schoney & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 1999. "Technical Efficiency, Technological Change and Output Growth of Wheat Farms in Saskatchewan," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(4), pages 468-469, December.
- Raymond J. Kopp, 1981. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: A Reconsideration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 477-503.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Paul W. Bauer, 1988. "Decomposing TFP growth in the presence of cost inefficiency, nonconstant returns to scale, and technological progress," Working Paper 8813, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:0204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.