Identification and Decompositions in Probit and Logit Models
Probit and logit models typically require a normalization on the error variance for model identification. This paper shows that in the context of sample mean probability decompositions, error variance normalizations preclude estimation of the effects of group differences in the latent variable model parameters. An empirical example is provided for a model in which the error variances are identified. This identification allows the effects of group differences in the latent variable model parameters to be estimated.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jung, Seeun & Choe, Chung & Oaxaca, Ronald L., 2016.
"Gender Wage Gaps and Risky vs. Secure Employment: An Experimental Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
10132, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- SeEun Jung & Chung Choe & Ronald L. Oaxaca, 2017. "Gender Wage Gaps and Risky vs. Secure Employment: An Experimental Analysis," Inha University IBER Working Paper Series 2017-7, Inha University, Institute of Business and Economic Research, revised Jul 2017.
- Wolff, François-Charles, 2012. "Decomposition of non-linear models using simulated residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 346-348.
- François-Charles Wolff, 2012. "Decomposition of non-linear models using simulated residuals," Working Papers hal-00694421, HAL.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2008. "An extension of the Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition to nonlinear models," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 92(2), pages 197-206, May.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2006. "An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to Non-Linear Models," RWI Discussion Papers 49, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10530. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.