Job durations with worker and firm specific effects: MCMC estimation with longitudinal employer-employee data
We study job durations using a multivariate hazard model allowing for workerspecific and firm-specific unobserved determinants. The latter are captured by unobserved heterogeneity terms or random effects, one at the firm level and another at the worker level. This enables us to decompose the variation in job durations into the relative contribution of the worker and the firm. We also allow the unobserved terms to be correlated. For the empirical analysis we use a Portuguese longitudinal matched employer-employee data set. The model is estimated with a Bayesian Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) estimation method. The results imply that firm characteristics explain around 30% of the variation in log job durations. In addition, we find a positive correlation between unobserved worker and firm characteristics.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Horny, Guillaume, Rute Mendes and Gerard J van den Berg, 'Job durations with worker and firm specific effects: MCMC estimation with longitudinal employer-employee data' in Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2012, pages 468-480.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume Horny & Dragana Djurdjevic & Bernhard Boockmann & François Laisney, 2008.
"Bayesian Estimation of Cox Models with Non-nested Random Effects: an Application to the Ratification Of ILO Conventions by Developing Countries,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 89, pages 193-214.
- Horney, Guillaume & Boockmann, Bernhard & Djurdjevic, Dragana & Laisney, François, 2005. "Bayesian estimation of Cox model with non-nested random effects: an application to the ratification of ILO conventions by developing countries," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-23, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernhard Boockmann. & Dragana Djurdjevic. & Guillaume Horny. & François Laisney., 2009. "Bayesian estimation of Cox models with non-nested random effects: an application to the ratification of ILO conventions by developing countries," Working papers 249, Banque de France.
- Del Boca, Daniela & Sauer, Robert M., 2006.
"Life Cycle Employment and Fertility Across Institutional Environments,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2285, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Del Boca, Daniela & Sauer, Robert M., 2009. "Life cycle employment and fertility across institutional environments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 274-292, April.
- Daniela Del Boca & Robert M. Sauer, 2006. "Life Cycle Employment and Fertility Across Institutional Environments," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 20, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Daniela Del Boca & Robert M. Sauer, 2006. "Life Cycle Employment and Fertility Across Institutional Environments," CHILD Working Papers wp14_06, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Benoit Dostie, 2004.
"Job Turnover and the Returns to Seniority,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
127, Econometric Society.
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2010.
"An empirical assessment of assortative matching in the labor market,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 919-929, December.
- Rute Mendes & Gerard J. van den Berg & Maarten Lindeboom, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Assortative Matching in the Labor Market," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 62, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Assortative Matching in the Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 3053, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2007. "An empirical assessment of assortative matching in the labor market," Working Paper Series 2007:30, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Light, Audrey & Ureta, Manuelita, 1992. "Panel Estimates of Male and Female Job Turnover Behavior: Can Female Nonquitters Be Identified?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 156-81, April.
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- L. Randall Wray & Stephanie Bell, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Credit and State Theories of Money, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Leonardo Grilli, 2005. "The random-effects proportional hazards model with grouped survival data: a comparison between the grouped continuous and continuation ratio versions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(1), pages 83-94.
- Samuel Manda & Renate Meyer, 2005. "Age at first marriage in Malawi: a Bayesian multilevel analysis using a discrete time-to-event model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 439-455.
- José Vieira & Ana Cardoso & Miguel Portela, 2005. "Gender segregation and the wage gap in Portugal: an analysis at the establishment level," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 145-168, August.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Portela, Miguel, 2005.
"The Provision of Wage Insurance by the Firm: Evidence from a Longitudinal Matched Employer-Employee Dataset,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Miguel Portela & Ana Rute Cardoso, 2005. "The provision of wage insurance by the firm: evidence from a longitudinal matched employer-employee dataset," NIPE Working Papers 17/2005, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2009_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.