Home Ownership, Job Duration and Wages
We investigate the impact of home ownership on individual job mobility and wages in Denmark. We find that home ownership has a negative impact on job-to-job mobility both in terms of transition into new local jobs and new jobs outside the local labour market. In addition, there is a clear negative effect of home ownership on the unemployment risk and a positive impact on wages. These results are robust to different strategies for correcting for the possible endogeneity of the home owner variable.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Urban Economics, 2008, 63(1), 130-145|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
- Richard K. Green & Patric H. Hendershott, 2001.
"Home-ownership and Unemployment in the US,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 38(9), pages 1509-1520, August.
- Panis, Constantijn W. A. & Lillard, Lee A., 1994.
"Health inputs and child mortality: Malaysia,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 455-489.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Dawn Upchurch & Lee Lillard & Constantijn Panis, 2002. "Nonmarital childbearing: Influences of education, marriage, and fertility," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 39(2), pages 311-329, May.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jakob Roland, 2005.
"Rent control and unemployment duration,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2165-2181, December.
- Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jakob R., 2003. "Rent Control and Unemployment Duration," IZA Discussion Papers 842, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Svarer & Michael Rosholm & Jacob Roland Munch, 2003. "Rent Control and Unemployment Duration," CAM Working Papers 2003-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jacob Roland, . "Rent Control and Unemployment Duration," Economics Working Papers 2003-11, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Dietz, Robert D. & Haurin, Donald R., 2003. "The social and private micro-level consequences of homeownership," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 401-450, November.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Pierre Koning, 2000. "The effects of home-ownership on labour mobility in the Netherlands: Oswald's theses revisited," CPB Research Memorandum 173, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Constantijn W.A. Panis, 2003. "Microsimulations in the Presence of Heterogeneity," Working Papers wp048, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Koning, Pierre, 2004.
"The effect of home-ownership on labor mobility in the Netherlands,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 580-596, May.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Pierre Koning, 2006. "The Effect of Home-Ownership on Labour Mobility in the Netherlands," Chapters, in: Labour Market Adjustments in Europe, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- M. van Leuvensteijn & P. Koning, 2004. "The Effect of Home-ownership on Labor Mobility in The Netherlands," Working Papers 04-01, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, .
"Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?,"
Economics Working Papers
2003-15, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Michael Svarer & Michael Rosholm & Jacob Roland Munch, 2003. "Are Home Owners Really more Unemployed?," CAM Working Papers 2003-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Munch, Jakob R. & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2003. "Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?," IZA Discussion Papers 872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jakob Roland Munch & Michael Svarer, .
"Rent Control and Tenancy Duration,"
Economics Working Papers
2001-7, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- Oswald Andrew J., 1996. "A Conjecture on the Explanation for High Unemployment in the Industrialized Nations : Part I," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 475, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.