Rent Control and Unemployment Duration
In this paper we investigate whether rent control affects the functioning of the labour market. Particularly, we focus on the effect of rent control on the length of individual unemployment duration. Theoretically, the effect is ambiguous. Rent control reduces housing mobility and could very well spill-over to mobility in the labour market. On the other hand to maintain their rent control benefits unemployed individuals are presumably less demanding when accepting a job in the local labour market. Based on a rich Danish data set we investigate the empirical contents of the issue, and find results that are in clear accordance with the theoretical predictions.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Public Economics, 2005, 89 (11-12), 2165-2181|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakob Roland Munch & Michael Svarer, .
"Rent Control and Tenancy Duration,"
Economics Working Papers
2001-7, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Hardman, Anna M & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1999.
" Residential Mobility and the Housing Market in a Two-Sector Neoclassical Growth Model,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(2), pages 315-35, June.
- Anna M. Hardman & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999. "Residential Mobility and the Housing Market in a Two-sector Neoclassical Growth Model," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9915, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Hans Lind, 2001. "Rent Regulation: A Conceptual And Comparative Analysis," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 41-57, April.
- Peter Jensen & Michael Svarer, 2003.
"Short- and long-term unemployment: How do temporary layoffs affect this distinction?,"
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 23-44, January.
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, M.S., 1999. "Short- and Long-Term Unemployment: How do Temporary Layoffs Affect this Distinction?," Papers 99-06, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Linneman, Peter, 1990. "Rent controls and rental housing quality: A note on the effects of New York City's old controls," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 398-409, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2003.
"The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1027-1046, September.
- Arnott, Richard & Igarashi, Masahiro, 2000.
"Rent control, mismatch costs and search efficiency,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 249-288, May.
- Masahiro Igarashi & Richard Arnott, 1993. "Rent Control, Mismatch Costs And Search Efficiency," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hans Lind, 2001. "Rent Regulation: A Conceptual And Comparative Analysis," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 41-57.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Richard Arnott, 1997. "Rent Control," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 391., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Paul Gregg & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 2004. "Mobility and Joblessness," NBER Chapters, in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 371-410 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alston, Richard M & Kearl, J R & Vaughan, Michael B, 1992. "Is There a Consensus among Economists in the 1990's?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 203-09, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp842. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.